Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

benji429

Changing my dependent status on my return

My Mom added me as a dependent on her return (which is correct), but the IRS refused her return because of how I filed. Where do I change that on my tax information.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

So did you file a return that said no one else could claim you as a dependent and now your parent's return is being rejected?  But really you can be claimed as their dependent?  

Your parents will have to prepare their return that claims you as a dependent and MAIL it to the IRS.  They cannot e-file now.  But they can go ahead and do that without waiting for you to amend your return.

Your part of fixing this is to file an amended return. You have to change the answer you gave in Personal Info when you were asked if you can be claimed on someone else’s tax return. Wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  

The form you will need to prepare an amended return is called a 1040X. You amend to say in Personal Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then you print and mail your 1040X.  It will then take 2-3 months for the IRS to process your amended return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2015-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

Note:  It is possible that you will need to pay back some of the refund you received.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

82 Replies
chbdms

i need to find more information on how to change my dependent status for 1040x form
barbie-16

need to change dependent status on personal profile on my account

I need to change dependents on a previous year tax return

Amend 2017
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So did you file a return that said no one else could claim you as a dependent and now your parent's return is being rejected?  But really you can be claimed as their dependent?  

Your parents will have to prepare their return that claims you as a dependent and MAIL it to the IRS.  They cannot e-file now.  But they can go ahead and do that without waiting for you to amend your return.

Your part of fixing this is to file an amended return. You have to change the answer you gave in Personal Info when you were asked if you can be claimed on someone else’s tax return. Wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  

The form you will need to prepare an amended return is called a 1040X. You amend to say in Personal Info that you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then you print and mail your 1040X.  It will then take 2-3 months for the IRS to process your amended return. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2015-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

Note:  It is possible that you will need to pay back some of the refund you received.

Our situation is the opposite.  My 26-year-old son made just $1,000 working and lived with us the entire year. When he completed his return he stated someone else (my husband and I) could claim him as a dependent. He filed on time and received a nominal refund. My husband and I filed an extension, but now as we are working on preparing our taxes, we find we should NOT claim him as a dependent.  I know we can just remove him from our personal section, but should he file a 1040X? He'll get a bit more back from the IRS and, more importantly, his return would be corrected, right?

I need to amend that I can be claimed as a dependent by someone else but don’t see where to do that on the 1040x form.

Start the amendment process then click on MY INFO and edit yourself to make the change.
tedenaclark
Returning Member

I don't see any section on the 1040X form "Personal Info". In fact, there is no place for us to correct the mistake of not checking the "someone can claim you...." box. Please advise!! Thanks

tedenaclark
Returning Member

What if it's after 10/15 and you cant use the online software. I am just using a blank 1040X and there isnt anywhere on that form to make this change! Do I just explain it in Section III? Thanks

tedenaclark
Returning Member

What if its after 10/15 and you cant use the online software to amend? The actual form 1040X doesnt include anywhere to correct this mistake. Do we just explain it in Section III??

Carl
Level 15

I don't see any section on the 1040X form "Personal Info".

@tedenaclark ...and you never will. You can not do this in forms mode. Start the program and after the program starts, and *before* you click on your return to open it, click the AMEND button near the bottom of the screen.

Note to all:  An amended tax return can not be e-filed. The IRS says so. You *HAVE* to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X if both print) and mail it yourself to the IRS. AN amended return can take up to 16 weeks to process. If amending the return will result in you receiving a refund then the absolute only way the IRS will pay that refund is by mailing you a paper check to the address shown on your return. There are no other options.

If you also need to amend a state return, then the same holds true for the state. But understand you will ***NOT*** mail the state amended return to the same place you will mail the FEDERAL return. When you finish amending and print, included in that printout will be an instruction sheet telling you what you need to include in the package you will be mailing to the IRS, as well as the address you will mail it to.  If also amending a state return, then a *physically* *separate* instruction sheet is printed for the state.

tedenaclark
Returning Member

Turbotax wont let me use the online amend because I used the free version which only allows you to amend until 10/15. I have to use the paper form and no where on the form does it have anywhere to correct this issue. Do I just explain it in Section III??

BJ6
Returning Member

I filed my grandson's taxes and said he was not claimed on any other return but it was rejected and said he was claimed on his parents filing. His parents did not think he was claimed but when they checked he was because they still pay his mediacal insurance (he is 19)  I am trying to go back in and change that info so I can refile but cannot find where I make that change;  when i tried to do it on the program it said it had been fixed and time to refile but I was not asked if I wanted to change to being a dependent on someone elses filing. How can it be fixed? And I can't find where to look to see if it's been changed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies