Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Single member Professional Limited Liability Company - PLLC

My law office is in a PLLC. I'm the only member. I have both TT Business and TT Home and Business.  Should I use the Home & business for my law office account for the Schedule C or the Business? (I use that for a S Corp I have which is reason I have it)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Raeka wrote:

Should I use the Home & business for my law office account for the Schedule C or the Business?

Home & Business for the Schedule C. 

TurboTax Business for the S corporation (1120-S).

View solution in original post

6 Replies

@Raeka wrote:

Should I use the Home & business for my law office account for the Schedule C or the Business?

Home & Business for the Schedule C. 

TurboTax Business for the S corporation (1120-S).

Depends ... when you got the EIN did you indicate you would be an PLLC  taxed as a single member LLC (Sch C) or  as a corporation (1120)?    If you indicated the corporation then did you make the S-Corp election(1120S)?  

I've always filed a schedule C. Years ago I remember that the business form seemed to create a better schedule C but maybe that has changed. I'll go with home & business

@Raeka wrote:

I've always filed a schedule C. Years ago I remember that the business form seemed to create a better schedule C but maybe that has changed. 

TurboTax Business cannot create a Schedule C for a single-member LLC. You need to use Home & Business for that purpose.

Either you file a Sch C   or a corporate return if you elected that option ... you cannot simply pick and choose which way to file your business.  If you have always filed the Sch C then that is what you need to continue to do.  If you want to switch to a corporation you will need to get a new EIN and register the business with your state if needed.  

you need to figure out what you have or perhaps you need to consult a tax professional. if you have an S-Corp that is required to file a return, the failure can result in penalties of about $2,500 for each full year late for each year you failed to file.  If your law firm is the S-Corp there can be additional IRS/state penalties - failure to take a salary, failure to withhold taxes, failure to remit taxes, failure to file payroll tax returns, failure to have a workmen's compensation insurance policy - you are an employee of the S-Corp  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies