turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I reflect multiple moves in Turbo Tax?

I lived in Ohio in January of 2017, and I moved to Mississippi in February. I changed my address and paid Mississippi taxes while I was there. I returned to Ohio in July of 2017. I can get Turbo Tax to say that I was in Mississippi from January through June, and Ohio the rest of the year, but that's not technically correct. How can I reflect multiple moves? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since you ended up back in Ohio, Ohio will be considered your permanent tax residence for 2017 and you will be considered a Non-Resident of Mississippi.  Part-year Resident forms won't work in this particular scenario. 

Your permanent tax residence is the state which will expect you to file a Resident tax return.  This means that all your income will be reported to Ohio, and you will file a Non-Resident tax return for Mississippi, reporting your income earned only for that state. 

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled against double taxation in 2015, stating that two or more states are no longer permitted to tax the same earnings. So, if you live in Ohio but work in Mississippi and pay taxes on that income in Mississippi, Ohio cannot tax you on it as well. Ohio must offer you a credit for taxes you paid elsewhere.  Be certain to complete your Non-Resident Mississippi return first, as you will need the tax paid information to calculate your Ohio credit.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Did you intend to move back to Ohio when you moved to Mississippi?

I am on a rotational program for my job. I knew I would be moving after 5-6 months, but I wasn't sure where. Ohio was the most likely place, as most of our assignments are there, but it was not guaranteed.

Since you did end up going back to Ohio, you would have to be considered a resident of Ohio for the full year and a Non-Resident of Louisiana.  Part-year Resident forms won't work in this particular scenario.  I'll post my full answer below.

Thank you TurboTaxKitty!

My pleasure.

Just to double check, you switched to Louisiana in your answer but I was living in Mississippi. Is it the same for both states?

My apologies.  Tax brain.  Yes, it is the same for both states, and I will edit my answer to reflect Mississippi, which I love to type.

No worries! And I'm sorry I have one more question... I still can't actually show which months I was in which state in the "Personal Info" section. Is this not important since I will be putting that information in the individual state returns?

Don't show that you were in another state last year in Personal info.  You can manually add a Mississippi non-resident return when you get to the state return screens.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your help!

Since you ended up back in Ohio, Ohio will be considered your permanent tax residence for 2017 and you will be considered a Non-Resident of Mississippi.  Part-year Resident forms won't work in this particular scenario. 

Your permanent tax residence is the state which will expect you to file a Resident tax return.  This means that all your income will be reported to Ohio, and you will file a Non-Resident tax return for Mississippi, reporting your income earned only for that state. 

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled against double taxation in 2015, stating that two or more states are no longer permitted to tax the same earnings. So, if you live in Ohio but work in Mississippi and pay taxes on that income in Mississippi, Ohio cannot tax you on it as well. Ohio must offer you a credit for taxes you paid elsewhere.  Be certain to complete your Non-Resident Mississippi return first, as you will need the tax paid information to calculate your Ohio credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies