Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RJnm

Since only part of med $15000 expenses beyond 10% of GAI ($4000) can be federally deducted, is the portion under 10% GAI therefore deductible for NM state tax?

Turbo tax help topic worded the explanation as " Any medical expenses deducted on your federal return cannot be deducted again on your New Mexico return."  I don't know if all of my gross medical expenses used in the calculation or only the federally deductible 10% excess over GAI is not allowed for my New Mexico return.  It would be reassuring if the explanation specified that differentiation, but current wording is ambiguous, forcing me to parcel out the meaning.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

Since only part of med $15000 expenses beyond 10% of GAI ($4000) can be federally deducted, is the portion under 10% GAI therefore deductible for NM state tax?

Yes, but it is only a partial deduction.

New Mexico allows for a deduction of medical care expenses based on an allowable percentage calculated according to your income and filing status. The expenses included in the deduction are limited to medical expenses that were not deducted on your Federal Schedule A, line 4. 

See page 30 of the Instructions for NM PIT-1 for the deduction percentage table.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

Yes, but it is only a partial deduction.

New Mexico allows for a deduction of medical care expenses based on an allowable percentage calculated according to your income and filing status. The expenses included in the deduction are limited to medical expenses that were not deducted on your Federal Schedule A, line 4. 

See page 30 of the Instructions for NM PIT-1 for the deduction percentage table.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies