Solved: Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax ...

Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax return

Do I need to sign a tax return I helped prepare for my 16 yr old child ?

This is her first tax return with minimal earned income from a first job.   If so, how do you sign as parent in turbotax CD version (if necessary for an e-filed return) - i've read that if the minor can, then they should "sign" their return.  This may be academic since it is e-filed, but wasn't sure.   Isn't a good idea to sign as parent so the parent can be available in case the IRS has questions ?  should i e-file as is, or as parent is there anything else i need to do before clicking submit with my childs name. 

Also, as parent may i use my email address and phone number when requested in TurboTax as opposed to my childs,etc

Thanks for any help !

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required.