Solved: Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax return

Do I need to sign a tax return I helped prepare for my 16 yr old child ?

This is her first tax return with minimal earned income from a first job.   If so, how do you sign as parent in turbotax CD version (if necessary for an e-filed return) - i've read that if the minor can, then they should "sign" their return.  This may be academic since it is e-filed, but wasn't sure.   Isn't a good idea to sign as parent so the parent can be available in case the IRS has questions ?  should i e-file as is, or as parent is there anything else i need to do before clicking submit with my childs name. 

Also, as parent may i use my email address and phone number when requested in TurboTax as opposed to my childs,etc

Thanks for any help !

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 4

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings