turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax return

Do I need to sign a tax return I helped prepare for my 16 yr old child ?

This is her first tax return with minimal earned income from a first job.   If so, how do you sign as parent in turbotax CD version (if necessary for an e-filed return) - i've read that if the minor can, then they should "sign" their return.  This may be academic since it is e-filed, but wasn't sure.   Isn't a good idea to sign as parent so the parent can be available in case the IRS has questions ?  should i e-file as is, or as parent is there anything else i need to do before clicking submit with my childs name. 

Also, as parent may i use my email address and phone number when requested in TurboTax as opposed to my childs,etc

Thanks for any help !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

I know this is old and may not apply anymore but I send my child's in by mail.  I type in on Adobe my child's name "By my name, parent for minor child." Then sign the exact same way under signature part.

This way I can talk to the IRS, because the 3rd Party Designee is only good for 1 year.  It sucks that we can't e-file because there is nowhere to sign/input that. 

You can enter a 3rd party designed in the Desktop program using Forms and efile or mail it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies