Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Should I have my permanent or temporary address on my W2?

My permanent address in FL but I did an internship in VA. Now I will start another internship in Minnesota. Should I get a W4 for MN if I will go back to FL and not do my taxes in MN?

1 Reply
Level 15

Should I have my permanent or temporary address on my W2?

Your W-4 is just for the employer so they will withhold the amount of taxes you want withheld.  It does not dictate anything regarding how you file your actual tax return.  It is not clear whether you will need to file a MN state tax return.

You have referred to both your W-2 and your W-4 in your question.  They are different documents.  A W-2 is the document you will receive from the employer in January that details all of your earnings and the amounts withheld for taxes, Social Security, Medicare, etc.  Your W-2 has the information that has to be entered on your tax return.  You will want to make sure that it has an address that is correct so you will receive it from the employer in January.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies