ping7680

Should I go with an hourly W2 wage at $75/hr, or at 1099 wage at $85/hr. This is assuming a regular 40hr work week and minimal deductions because I have no overhead.

Zbucklyo

Not a tax question, but factoring in vacation time and the employer portion of social security and medicare payments alone, the W-2 job seems like a no-brainer, especially if there are other benefits like health and disability insurance, or employer 401 (k) matches.

Zbucklyo

ping7680

Need to add detail. The W2 position has no benefits (health, 401k). I'm purely asking in terms of tax difference per social security and medicare.
Zbucklyo

Then, you lose net of slightly less than 6% of your income from having to pay the employer portion of medicare and social security tax (it is not 7.65% because you don't pay self-employment tax on all your self-employment income, and you get a deduction for half your self-employment tax).
ping7680

1099 it is then. Thanks a ton, appreciate the help!