Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Section 125

When going through Turbo Tax, I'm asked how both the Section 125 amount and the LTD amount (both in Box 14) on my W2 are classified.  Several of the classifications refer to states other than Indiana where I worked.  Which of the following would be the most accurate classification for each?

-State deductible employee expense
-Wages for SDI, VPDI, TDI, UI, etc.
-Code U, V, W, X, Y, Z
-Other deductible state or local tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Section 125

Indiana (IN) does not tax Section 125 elections contributions. IN Employer Handbook

• An example of compensation that is excluded by the Act is the value of Cafeteria (Section 125) Benefit plans.

Indiana may allow a credit for long term disability premiums. IN Deduction for Long Term Care

If there is no specific code you should check 'Other deductible state or local tax' then watch the questions in the IN state interview.

Also, check the wages in Box 1, of your W-2 and compare them to the wages in Box 16 to see if they match or are different.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Section 125

Thank you.  What is the Indiana State Interview?  I notice that the amounts in Boxes 1 and Boxes 16 for all of my W2s are the same.  Would this for any reason be of concern?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Section 125

No, not a concern at all.  It just means that IN basically follows the same pre-tax rules, such as your Section 125 contributions, as the IRS. 

I was referring to the State Tax in TurboTax.  It is step-by-step to make sure you don't miss anything.

For your convenience here is the link to the IN Individual Income Tax Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies