Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RickSa
Returning Member

Second Stimulus on Tax 2020

I completed my 2020 tax and when asked about the stimulus package received I answer 1200 dollars and 600 dollars. My returned was only 1 dollar. A friend pointed out that the second stimulus should not be included since I received it on January 4th 2021. So I went back and corrected to "0" instead of 600 dollars leaving only the the first 1200 stimulus check received. After the correction was made my tax refund went up to 601 dollars. Is this correct? or I am being credited by error the second 600 dollars? Please clarify before I send it electronically

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If your federal tax refund before any stimulus amounts was entered was $1then that is the tax refund that you will receive.  The second stimulus of $600 is entered on your 2020 federal tax return.  It is an advance tax credit for tax year 2020.   You need to enter $600 as EIP2 received.

RickSa
Returning Member

On the contrary, my refund was $1 dollar when I entered both stimulus packages $1200 and $600. When I corrected the second stimulus package of 600 to 0 because it was received in 2021 and thought it should be entered on the next year return, then my refund was changed to $601 dollars instead. So, Should I still enter both stimulus although I received the second one this year not last year?

@RickSa wrote:

On the contrary, my refund was $1 dollar when I entered both stimulus packages $1200 and $600. When I corrected the second stimulus package of 600 to 0 because it was received in 2021 and thought it should be entered on the next year return, then my refund was changed to $601 dollars instead. So, Should I still enter both stimulus although I received the second one this year not last year?

Yes, you have to enter both stimulus payments on the 2020 tax return -  $1200/$600

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies