Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lprmvr

Schedule F Name of Proprietor change

If we change the name of proprietor from me in 2021 to my husband in 2022 tax, would that cause any problem/issue with IRS? For the 1st year return in 2020, it was my husband's name, and in 2021 it was my name because my husband was doing more work unrelated to farming. 

Just want to make sure we can switch names without problems. I searched the net but couldn't find anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sf#en_US_2022_publink17152rd0e2366

This will have an impact on self-employment tax if there is material participation on your part.

lprmvr

Thank you for the info. Didn't think about the self-employment tax... Other than that, we can switch the proprietor if we want to, and there will be no complications arising from that? I hope?

Hi,

I've never filed this form but I am a sole proprietor as well. I did take a look at the form. I'm not a tax pro, but this is how it looks to me.

If you are filing jointly, I'm not sure that it matters which of your names is on this form. Definitely, if you change the name, you'll use your SS number. If their is an EIN number, then you'll need to check that paperwork to see which of your names is on that; if it's both, then using your name shouldn't raise any flags either. If not, I think you can file a revision for the EIN separately.

I found the instructions here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040sf

A little ways down the page are directions regarding farms owned and operated by spouses that may give you a little more guidance. 

Since you're probably looking to beat the Oct 15th deadline to file, I would read the instructions a couple of times and file the form that makes the most sense with the instructions. The IRS is mostly interested in the income and tax portions anyway and will send a letter if the ownership needs to be clarified.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies