Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule D AMT

The tax software I am using produced a totally unnecessary schedule D AMT for some reason. It looks exactly the same with my normal schedule D and I have nothing to do with AMT (assume this statement is true). My tax return is really very simple.

Otherwise my tax return seems ok. Can I go ahead and efile with them? Or submitting an unnecessary schedule D AMT will create a problem and I should not use them and pay somewhere else again? I have no idea why it created schedule D AMT. First it didn't even create it. But now it is creating.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Schedule D AMT

If you are paying Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Form 6251 would be attached to your return.  The alternative minimum tax (AMT) is a tax imposed by the United States federal government in addition to the regular income tax for certain individuals, estates, and trusts.

Schedule 2 is where AMT taxes and excess advance premium credit tax repayment amounts get reported

Attach Form 6251 to your return if any of the following statements are true.

1. Form 6251, line 7, is greater than line 10.

2. You claim any general business credit, and either line 6 (in Part I) of Form 3800 or line 25 of Form 3800 is more than zero.

3. You claim the qualified electric vehicle credit (Form 8834), the personal use part of the alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit (Form 8911), or the credit for prior year minimum tax (Form 8801).

4. The total of Form 6251, lines 2c through 3, is negative and line 7 would be greater than line 10 if you didn’t take into account lines 2c through 3.

Purpose of Form

Use Form 6251 to figure the amount, if any, of your alternative minimum tax (AMT). The AMT is a separate tax that is imposed in addition to your regular tax. It applies to taxpayers who have certain types of income that receive favorable treatment, or who qualify for certain deductions, under the tax law. These tax benefits can significantly reduce the regular tax of some taxpayers with higher economic incomes. The AMT sets a limit on the amount these benefits can be used to reduce total tax.

Check to see if you are paying AMT.  Schedule 2 is where AMT taxes and excess advance premium credit tax repayment amounts get reported

Also use Form 6251 to figure your tentative minimum tax (Form 6251, line 9). You may need to know that amount to figure the tax liability limit on the credits listed under Who Must File, earlier.

Use this link for more information on AMT:  Instructions for Form 6251 (AMT)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies