Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return has W-2 SSN that does not match the taxpayers or spouses ssn on the return. The good news is you can still print your Illinois return and file it by mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Return has W-2 SSN that does not match the taxpayers or spouses ssn on the return. The good news is you can still print your Illinois return and file it by mail.

It sounds like you have a w-2 that does not match with your SSN or your spouses, so they are instructing you to print your return and mail it instead of e-filing. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ambercorn2020  @CarissaM 

I had someone the other day that had his issue....and this might be the same issue.

The problem for them was that the W-2 entered was scanned (or photo'ed) to import it.

.....and apparently some recent format was allowed, for which employers can issue paper/PDF W-2 forms  with only the last 4 digits of the SSN showing...such as:

So...the SSN couldn't match at all.   Problem is that IL doesn't accept one entered that way....at least not for electronic filing..  

The solution, so that the IL tax return could be e-filed, was to just delete that W-2, and re-enter it manually  ( "I'll type in in myself"  ).  That way the worksheet uses your full SSN from the My Info page.   That worked for the other user that had this problem.

Of course, I can't know if that is exactly the same issue to what you are experiencing

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies