Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vanbro

Resident of South Carolina, but work in Pennsylvania

I am applying to become a resident of South Carolina now, but not moving there until next year. I want to still work at my job in PA until I physically move to South Carolina. How does this work? What do I tell my job? What do I do differently with taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Resident of South Carolina, but work in Pennsylvania

I don't know how you "apply" to become a resident of a state. Whether you are a resident is determined by the facts of your situation. It's not something you can apply for. Generally you become a resident of a state when you move there, but the rules can get complicated when the situation is not clear cut.

Different states have different definitions of a resident for income tax purposes, which may be different from the definitions for other purposes. Because the states have different definitions, it is possible to be considered a resident of more than one state at the same time.

How you handle your taxes will depend on exactly when you become a North Carolina resident for income tax purposes, when you stop being a Pennsylvania resident for income tax purposes, and when you stop working in Pennsylvania. Those could be two or three different dates.

For a summary of Pennsylvania's definition of a resident for income tax purposes, see "Residency Status" on pages 2 - 6 of the Brief Overview and Filing Requirements in the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax Guide. You will see the terms "domicile" and "residence." You can have only one domicile at a time, but you can be a resident of more than one state. Note that Pennsylvania considers you a resident if your domicile is in Pennsylvania OR if you are a "statutory resident." You are a statutory resident if you have a home in Pennsylvania and spend more than 183 days of the year in the state. So in the year that you move to South Carolina, you could still be a Pennsylvania resident for income tax purposes.

Unlike most states, South Carolina does not make a clear distinction between domicile and residence. Here is a link to a guide from the South Carolina Department of Revenue that discusses how to determine whether South Carolina is your domicile or residence for income tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies