jcantella48

Required to Input Property Taxes?

If I am certain that the standard deduction is right for me, am I still required to input property and school taxes paid for my primary residence? I recently moved and cannot find my receipt. Just want to know if it's safe to submit without this info or I'd I need to obtain replacement documentation. 

Required to Input Property Taxes?

For the federal return you are not required to enter any itemized deductions however some may affect your state tax return so it is up to you if you want to skip any state credits that may be in your favor.

pk

Required to Input Property Taxes?

@jcantella48 , if Standard deduction is best for you and you want to use this  --- then  the property tax payments  ( under SALT limit )  is really not required.  However, if TurboTax insists   ( so it can be satisfied), put in a reasonable dummy figure  and then when TurboTax  suggests that Standard deduction is best for you , choose  that -- so you are sure to take advantage of Standard deduction.    However, if you choose otherwise, then you would have to use the correct figures for Property tax.   Note School Tax  may not be deductible/includable  as part of property tax ( SALT ).

pk