Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting foreign earned income for postdoctoral fellowship and 1099-MISC

For the entirety of 2018, I lived and worked abroad. My income of $40,000 was provided under a Postdoctoral fellowship, but I did not receive a W-2 or any other documentation. My University provided this reasoning: "Postdoctoral fellows and trainees are not employees of the University and, therefore, you will not receive a Form W-2 from the University reporting your postdoctoral fellowship or traineeship award."

My question is, assuming I qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion (which I believe I do based on the type of work I did and the physical presence test) how do I report this income under the "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" section of TurboTax?

I also received a 1099-MISC form for another source of income for the same work I did abroad. How should I report this income as well?

Lastly, when I report these two sources of income under "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion", do I need to report them in any other sections of TurboTax (i.e., would I need to fill out the 1099-MISC form section)?

Thank you very much.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First you do NOT enter anything TWICE in the program unless you like to  overpay your taxes. 

If you did not receive a W-2 for your wages, there is no need to complete the W-2 section.  Report your foreign earned income on Form 2555.

If you started a W-2, then delete the W-2.

Enter w-2 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to w-2

To enter Foreign Earned Income -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income
  • On Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion, click on the start or update button

Or enter foreign income in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to foreign income

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much.

One last question - when I go to report the foreign earned income, it gives me these options:

• A regular Form W-2 from your employer
  • A form 1099-MISC or other self-employment income
  • A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)
  • An IRS Schedule K-1 from a business partnership

For the two sources of income I had (postdoc fellowship from U.S. university and 1099-MISC from another U.S. employer), which of the above should I choose?

Ok ... let's start over.   You did not have foreign income ... you had US income you earned while overseas and you did not have to pay foreign taxes on this income which means you cannot exclude it.

So the fellowship income goes on line 21 of the Sch 1 :

• Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)
  • Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)
  • On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Sch 1 line 21 with the description that you entered.

And the self employment goes on the Sch C : 

Where do I enter a 1099-MISC? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770594

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies