Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting bond premium amortization for noncovered tax-exempt municipal bonds

I have a noncovered tax-exempt municiplal bond where the bond premium amortization (BPA) is not shown on 1011-INT, line 13 but is reported as supplemental information elsewhere in my Edward Jones statement.  Edward Jones does keep track of the reduced basis of these bonds and shows my basis on my statements.  My question is what do I need to do with this BPA supplemental info?   Do I need to reduce my tax exempt interest that was reported on line 8 of the 1099-INT by the BPA?   Do I just ignore the supplemental BPA info since EJ has been keeping track of bond basis and reports it on the 1099-B when the bond is sold?  I don't understand why I should reduce my tax-exempt interest by the BPA amount if it's not taxed anyway.  The IRS instructions are unclear as how to treat these noncovered tax-exempt bonds BPA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

take the muni amortization but make sure it's entered in the correct section of the 1099-INT.  or perhaps even easier is just to net the muni interest with the muni amortization. mini interest does not show up on schedule B and only the net shows in box 2a of the 1040

all non-covered means is that certain info is not reported to the iRS. this has no effect on the tax laws for mun bonds.

So simply subtract the BPA from the the tax exempt interest shown on line 8, 1099-INT and use that number instead?    I still don't understand how this changes my taxes.

Thanks for reply

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies