Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Removing QBI Deduction

Hello, I am seeking help removing the QBI deduction which I believe is incorrectly being applied due to 1099-Misc income I receive. Details below:

- I am not employed nor do I own a business (i.e., I am retired)

- I receive a 1099-Misc for Pension Income. When entering the 1099-Misc into TurboTax, I specify that it "doesn't involve work like my main job" and "doesn't involve an intent to earn money" 

- I have stock investments in REITs which is triggering the QBI deduction; however, I don't think I should be getting the deduction since I do not have self-employment income. It seems the 1099-Misc is triggering TurboTax to apply the QBI deduction even though the 1099-Misc is for pension income. 

Do I need to remove the QBI deduction? If so, can someone advise how to do this? Thanks!

- Note: I've asked the Trustee for my pension income to provide a 1099-R instead of a 1099-misc though they've advised it's too late in the year to make the change now and will update this next year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Removing QBI Deduction

The 1099-MISC does not make you eligible for the QBI deduction.

If you have Section 199A dividends (which are REIT dividends) reported in box 5 of form 1099-DIV, you will be eligible for the QBI deduction as Section 199A dividends are QBI (qualified business income). You do not need to remove the QBI deduction. It is legitimate.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Removing QBI Deduction

Look at your 1099-DIV to see if there is an amount in Box 5. If so, that’s triggering the QBI and is a legitimate adjustment. 

Removing QBI Deduction

Thanks, there is an amount listed in Box 5. I figured TurboTax was erroneously giving me the QBI deduction because of the 1099-misc pension income but I appreciate you clarifying. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Removing QBI Deduction

The 1099-MISC does not make you eligible for the QBI deduction.

If you have Section 199A dividends (which are REIT dividends) reported in box 5 of form 1099-DIV, you will be eligible for the QBI deduction as Section 199A dividends are QBI (qualified business income). You do not need to remove the QBI deduction. It is legitimate.

Please read this IRS document for more information.

Removing QBI Deduction

Much appreciated. Thanks for clarifying.

srcorkrean
Returning Member

Removing QBI Deduction

Hello. How does a user change their selection. I hit yes to QBI but need to change to NO.  I have spent hours researching and holding for TT chat help.  🙃

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Removing QBI Deduction

You may remove the Qualified Business Income Deduction by removing the income that qualifies you for the deduction.  If IRS form 8995 or IRS form 8995-A are included in your tax return, line 1 lists the income that qualifies you for the Qualified Business Income Deduction.

See also this IRS press release under What is the Qualified  Business Income Deduction?

@srcorkrean 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies