turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pastha

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

I need to remove the software, NOT simply the "return". I don't need the state, nor its updates. I've removed the state folder from the Turbo Tax directory, but it gets replaced during updates. "Personal Info" shows NO "other state income".

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
EricG1

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

You'll need to remove the state from the program itself. Please follow the directions below on how to remove the state return from your Desktop software:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3450510

Pastha

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Please note: I'm not trying to remove a RETURN. In fact, none are listed when the above "help" is attempted. I want to remove the MEMORY of having filed a state return in 2014 (that 'knowledge' is brought forward every year. So, the answer was not helpful. Research suggests that every question about 'removing state software' is answered by 'removing state return'.

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Yes the state program parts are very hard to get rid of.  A couple years ago I downloaded a state I didn't need to test in.  And even though I haven't downloaded that state since then I still get current year updates for it.  You can't find all the pieces to remove.  We've talked about it for years.

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Here's something I found from 2 years ago......

I may have found a secret way to really uninstall a state. There are Microsoft Installer (MSI) files hidden way down deep. For California, for example, I found

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\v4\Data\f014b69628c54554802fa15380418f53\C\C-wcaiper\012.000.1017_msi\v1\F\wcaiper.msi

You'll have to look through all the cryptic folders to find unwanted states. Or search for w*.msi under C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\. Some of the results will be for prior years.

Of course, I want to keep CA. But I also found the Rhode Island version of this .MSI file, right-clicked on it, and ran Uninstall. It seems to have worked. All traces of the string "wriiper" vanished from my Windows registry. Updating TT did not download RI state. And running the State Taxes section of TT shows no more RI.
EricG1

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the question. Try what VolvoGirl suggested, because I'm not finding anything on removing the software. You might need to contact our Product Support and see if they might be able to help with that.
Pastha

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

VolvoGirl, THANKS!  This is the most promising lead I've seen after multiple web searches over the past year!  Once you provided a toe-hold for me, I pulled on the thread a little and found the following URL:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2636836-how-do-i-erase-all-remnants-of-a-second-state-no-longer-ne...>
It's basically what you provided, but more formally spelled out.  I thought I'd add it in case anyone stumbles over this posting.  The only hiccup was that it took me 5-10 minutes to realize that ProgramData was a hidden folder.  I've uninstalled all the MSI's for the unneeded state. Now I'll await another TT update and see if I dodge the state update.  8^)   Thanks for this "difficult to find" information.

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Keep us posted!  Cross your fingers it doesn't come back.
Pastha

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Very short-lived exuberation!  :(   As soon as I fired up TT, it downloaded and re-installed the state.  Oh well, I'm no worse off.  Not excited about it, but maybe I need to spend hours looking through the registry.  I'm sure it would take an engineer to get a resolution, as the "experts" handling support seem to be confused by all this.  At this point, I would like to know how to stop the madness.  I guess next year I'll need to try NOT importing this year's data - although that almost negates any value in staying with TT.  Since we have this thread, I'll post any successes here.  This issue is sufficiently obtuse that such a posting may never happen!  🙂
Maybe a simpler test (if it's the registry) is install TT on another computer - but who has time to play these games?

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

Shucks.  A couple years ago I got a new computer because I had XP and knew TT wasn't going to run on XP anymore so that solved it for me.

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with Turbotax tech support, using the phone number they suggest, [phone number removed], and was told that there is no way to remove an unwanted state program, (not return, as noted above).  I was told that it will be brought forward, year to year, and there is no way to prevent this and just learn to live with it since it causes no harm.

If you want to check this out, call them up but be prepared to jump thru menu hoops like you never encountered!

REMOVE STATE SOFTWARE

I tried removing the specific state update routine, e.g., wriiperStateIS.msi, as well as the state's corresponding registry keys -- TurboTax 2022 would still try to reinstall that state's module and subsequent updates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies