Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected refund request

I encountered a serious bug in TurboTax involving my taking a deduction for my daughter, whose return showed that someone else was taking her as a deduction (We did it right - TurboTax software was wrong.)

As a result, our returns (state and federal) were rejected when we submitted them, and it was necessary to print the returns, sign, and mail them to the IRS and the California FTB.  We spent a *long* time messaging back and forth over two days with the TurboTax Support people on Twitter. They agreed that it was a TurboTax problem and advised us to mail in our return.

When we used the online form to request a refund, our request was rejected because we had "already used TurboTax to file our taxes." That's quite a lame excuse, considering that my refund request made it clear that we were unable to have our return accepted because of this bug. It's not as if Intuit can't afford to act like decent human beings and refund the money we spent for faulty software.  They are, in fact, violating their own commitment to offer a refund.

The package with the software offers a money-back guarantee. "If you're not satisfied with your TurboTax software purchase, simply go to refundrequest,intuit.com and provide your product license code along with a dated receipt...for a full refund." But Intuit does not honor its own offer. Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Rejected refund request

There was no bug.    The IRS will not tell you if someone else used your SSN or your child's SSN, bu the IRS does not allow more than one return to be accepted using the same SSN.   Someone else may have used your child's SSN by mistake...or on purpose.

If someone else used your child's SSN on a tax return, and your own return was rejected, that rejection came from the IRS.  The IRS does not accept another return using the same SSN on it as a dependent.  The ONLY way for you to file your return was by mail; a duplicate SSN rejection cannot be overcome.   Your fee for using TurboTax was for using the software to prepare a return; it was not for e-filing.  The fee for using TurboTax is the same whether you e-file or mail the return to the IRS/state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Rejected refund request

I would add that, if there were a "bug" in the program regarding something as common as claiming of dependents, this forum would have been flooded with questions the past few months.  It wasn't.

I'm not a TT employee nor am I paid by TT; I'm just a fellow user.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Rejected refund request

Trust me - it's a bug, and not at all connected to your idea. It has nothing to do with stoled SSNs. The bug has been verified by people at TurboTax who are supposed to know about these things.

In the past, I have been able to claim my daughter as a dependent.  Her return shows that someone else (me) can claim her as a dependent. Thus, both returns are accurate on this point. But something is transmitted incorrectly. There is no change in this law in 2022, and no reason for it to be handled incorrectly.  With my returns being rejected, and having to file by file, TurboTax is of no use to me, which is why I correctly requested the refund, which Intuit has refused to honor.

You should remove your response since it is irrelevant to this discussion thread.

Rejected refund request

I stand by my reply.    A "bug" of the sort you seem to think caused your issue would have caused lots of problems.   There were no other reports of parents claiming dependents and the dependent's correct return being rejected for duplicate SSN's.   Some random person may have had a typo that caused your problem.      

But---we are not TT employees, and have no control over whether you receive a refund from TT.   You have to have that conversation with customer support.

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies