Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected E-File

I have been unable to file electronically after receiving "A dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where PrimaryClaimasDependentind or SpouseClaimasdependentIND is not checked".  That dependent has ben fully removed from our return and it is still being rejected.  Is this something that can be corrected or will we have to mail in the return at this point?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Rejected E-File

I suggest that you view your forms to ensure that the dependent was deleted.

View the forms,

Click the "Forms" icon in the blue bar at the top right of your screen.
From the list of forms, click the form you want to review.  (Form 1040, page 1 about 1/2 way down the page)
Review as many other forms as needed.
Hint: You can also review your state(s) forms here.
To return to the step-by-step process, click the "step-by-step" which is in the blue bar at the top right of your screen, where the "Forms" icon formerly was located.

If you need to delete the dependent,

Click the "Personal Info" tab on the gray bar at the top of the screen (upper left area)

Click the "You and your family" button

Find the line for your dependents and click the blue "Edit" button on that line.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Rejected E-File

Thank you for the suggestion and direction, the dependent was not present on the form though.  I appreciate the response and direction.

Thanks again.

Rejected E-File

An alternative to e-filing is to print and file by mail.

If there is another return claiming the same dependent, the IRS will likely reach out to you and the other person(s) asking for documentation of the claim. 

Good Luck.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies