turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sobermeiert
Returning Member

Refund Requested, Now want to apply to 2022

I tried to file my tax return for 2021 electronically, but no matter what I did, it did not go through.  Therefore, I had to file manually.  I mailed the return in advance of the deadline, but as of August 30th, my return has not been processed.  I would like to change my request for a refund to have the money applied to 2022.  Do I need to file an amendment for that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry it's too late to change that.  You can send in an estimated payment now or when you get the refund.  

Here are the blank estimate forms and instructions for federal.  You need to go to your state's website to get theirs.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

Or you can pay directly on the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/payments

Be sure to pick the right kind of payment and year.....2022 Estimate

@sobermeiert it's too late because the IRS will (eventually) process the original tax return before ever seeing the amendment.  Figure paper filed returns are taking 6-9 months to process from the time they were submitted.  Best I can tell, the IRS, which generally processes in the order  the paper files are received, is working on late Feb and early March files.  Per their website, they have 7 million waiting to be processefd and this is down from 9.3 millions two months ago. 

if you submit an amendment today, figure that will not be processed for up to 12 months from now, well after the original return would have been processed.  There are another 2 million amendments waiting on processing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies