jsguy21

Received Form 3531

When I filed my 2021 federal return with Turbotax, I forgot that I made estimated tax payments during 2021.  After I filed, the IRS contacted me and asked me to send in the first two pages of my form 1040 showing the estimated tax payments I made.  I also sent a statement from the IRS website proving the estimated tax payments were made.

Today I received Form 3531 along with the two pages of 1040 and the statement I sent to the IRS in April.  Box 1 on form 3531 is checked indicating  I need to sign my tax return. It's true that I didn't sign the revised 1040 I sent the IRS

Do I sign the 1040 they sent back to me?  There are red stamps on form1040 showing when the IRS received and then sent the form back to me.   Or do I prepare a new 1040 and sign that?

Thanks!

tagteam

Received Form 3531

You might be better off signing an original return and the one they sent back to you.

Photocopy everything.

tagteam

Received Form 3531

Photocopy everything.

Received Form 3531

Sign the one you failed to sign ... the one that was sent back to you ... if you read the instructions that is what they tell you to do.