turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tifa1-

Received an email from 'Turbotax Team' asking me to call customer support at 1-866-602-4279 to verify our returns. Number does not match website's number. Is this legit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Received an email from 'Turbotax Team' asking me to call customer support at 1-866-602-4279 to verify our returns. Number does not match website's number. Is this legit?

Absolutely not, unless you were expecting such an e-mail from a customer service rep that you called and spoke to on the phone. TurboTax will never e-mail you "out of the blue", nor will they call you unless you call them first and specifically and explicitly request a callback.

jasonx88

I received the email below this morning. I was suspicious of the legitimacy and couldn't find great resources after searching online. So I contacted support through intuit support from the webpage instead of calling the number from the email or clicking links. One on the phone, I was able to verify my account w/o providing any part of my SSN. It took a little while, but the rep guided me to my account activity. Once there, I saw that someone logged into my account from an "unknown device" and "unknown browser" in what would have been the middle of the night by my timezone. Next to it was the same text from email, so it was legit. Rep had me change password and setup 2 factor (which I should have had already anyway, I'm dumb). I also purchased credit monitoring since if someone got into my account they have a lot of my most sensitive information. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

You're using a different TurboTax account this year.
It's important that you contact us right away.

TurboTax Customer Support: 1-866-602-4279

We've noticed that someone attempted to fill out a tax return using your information with a different account.

We are holding the tax return for 48 hours to give you the opportunity to verify it's yours or stop it. If we don't hear from you within 48 hours, this return will be filed in accordance with IRS filing regulations. Learn more

Thanks,
The TurboTax Security Team

I can confirm that this phone number is associated with Intuit's Security Team. If you ever have doubts about a phone number, please always feel free to call our main line at 1-800-446-8848. 

I called the number listed and answered the questions. thank you for letting me know this is a valid phone number!

I have everything set up already not sure why I received it too, but I'm changing it again I guess. thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies