Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Krissyo

Received 1099-g after I filed my taxes

I received a 1099-g for 2023 after I filed my taxes. I made a UC claim in July 2022 but PA didn’t disperse the payment until Jan of 2023. I opted in to have my UC taxed, so it does show that I paid taxes on it (total received 1200, taxed 10%)  I filed my taxes for 2023 not knowing that I had a 1099-g and received it AFTER I filed my taxes. (I worked all of 2023 with earned income so didn’t realize I was going to be getting this). My federal and state tax returns have been accepted, but I am passed the 21 day mark of receiving my refund. I can’t call anyone at the IRS to see what I should do. When I called a local IRS office I finally talked to a person and they said my tax return was under review. Do I file an amended tax return or do I wait to see if the IRS is going to adjust it? I haven’t received any letters or anything from the IRS. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Wait and see what the IRS does.  They might fix your return for you.   You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It is possible that the IRS will apply at a minimum the tax you paid in through withholding  as reported on the Form 1099-G to the return you filed. Also, they may add the income as well, so it would be best to wait until you get your refund before you amend the return. If you file an amended return and it gets changed in the interim by the IRS, that could cause problems, as alluded to by @VolvoGirl However, you can prepare the amended return and wait to file it so you will at least know if you owe additional tax. If you owe tax, you can pay that in before the due date of your tax return to avoid penalties for late payment of tax, should the issue not be resolved by then. You could do that online by using this link: Pay IRS

If you need to amend your return, you will see an option to do that on your home page when you log into TurboTax. Look at the bottom of the page, under Your Tax Return and Documents. Click on the year you want to amend and choose the Amend (Change) option.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Krissyo

I am to receive a refund, I do not owe taxes. Any idea on how long it could be until they issue me my refund? 

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

We can't determine when the IRS will send your refund.  Refer to the TurboTax articles Where's My Tax Refund? The IRS Refund Timetable Explained, Where's My Refund? Top 5 Reasons It's Been Delayed and What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies