turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myersgam

I have a W2 with multiple states on one W2. How do I properly enter in Turbotax

I have a W2 from my employer which lists Data for both NC and SC.

I retired end Feb 18 and some of the income and state tax paid was SC and some of income and tax paid was NC.

Turbotax seemed to work correctly if I put in a second W2 with the Fed Data all $0 and then put the Second State in that extra W2

(Not Taxslayer - That I use for AARP Tax Aide has multiple input fields for the States on the W2 Input Screen)

Thanks for your support

Gerry

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do NOT put in a second W-2 for that.

go back to the W-2 section.....Delete the second W-2 with the $0 federal fields

Then edit the one that is (almost) fully filled in
….....go down to the box 15-to-17 entry line with the one state that is there
………..Then LOOK closely just under that one state and click on the blue text that says "+ Add another row"

NOW you can add the second state...and keep adding until there are up to 5 total states (Online limit)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You do NOT put in a second W-2 for that.

go back to the W-2 section.....Delete the second W-2 with the $0 federal fields

Then edit the one that is (almost) fully filled in
….....go down to the box 15-to-17 entry line with the one state that is there
………..Then LOOK closely just under that one state and click on the blue text that says "+ Add another row"

NOW you can add the second state...and keep adding until there are up to 5 total states (Online limit)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
bwalker10
Returning Member

why does turbo tax list two states on the software when my sone only worked in new mexico since 2015

@bwalker10   (Repeat of your other post comment)

You haven't made his exact situation clear.   You had to have entered something about NC in his tax forms.

@bwalker10 

There are situations where there may be both NM and NC tax returns....like perhaps:

....he owns rental property of some kind in NC that he earns income from??

...College student in NM, under age 24 and your dependent (and you live in NC....but 7 years later that's unlikely) ?

....He's a NM resident, but worked summer in NC?

....Military member stationed in NM, but whose HOR is NC?

Something is triggering it...either his state of legal residence, part-time job there, rental property there??  NC Withholding shown on some form you entered?

bwalker10
Returning Member

he has a bank account in nc but has earned little to no interest but has not worked in nc since 2015

I see no reason why NC would be included then

....unless you said he had income in another state on the My Info page(if using the Online software)...[[[or Personal Info page if using Desktop]]] an included NC as that state since the bank is there.

BUT....a bank located elsewhere is NOT a reason for indicating income from another state....Bank interest is considered stateless, except for yoru own resident state.

Income from another state is only to be used for actually working in that other state, or owning a business in that other state, or owning rental property in that other state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies