turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wim7827

I filed an extension and prepaid taxes at the time, how do I account for what was paid on my 1040 filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed an extension and prepaid taxes at the time, how do I account for what was paid on my 1040 filing?

You didn't say if you are using Online TurboTax or the desktop version (CD/download), although the methods are fairly similar.  

Here's how to navigate in Online TurboTax to the place to enter the extension payment you made so you get credit for it on your 2016 return.   If you used TurboTax to file the extension, it *might* be prepopulated, but you should check anyway.

• Under the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal tab in Home and Business)
  • Click subtab "Deductions & Credits."
  • "I'll choose what I work on." (or it may say "All tax breaks.")
  • Scroll down to topic "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
  • Find subtopic OTHER INCOME TAXES, and click START or Update/Revisit.
  • On the "Other Income Taxes" screen choose the type of extension payment  you made and click START (or Update/Revisit).  Be sure you choose the correct year.
  • Continue the rest of that section.

Once you have entered the extension payment (or confirmed it if it's prepopulated), then before filing verify that you are getting credit for it.    

• If filing a Form 1040, look at Line 70 of your Form 1040 and verify that the Federal figure is correct.
  • If filing a Form 1040A, look to see if the amount is included on Line 46, and "Form 4868" is written near the Line.  
  • If filing a 1040EZ, look to see if the amount is included on Line 9, and "Form 4868" is written near the line.  
A state extension payment is entered in the same navigation steps as above.   After entering as above, then click on the State Taxes tab and step through the state return to ensure it transfers over to the state return.  Verify that it appears on the state return prior to filing.
twben

I prepaid and did not note it in my return. How do I get my money back?

twben

FYI Turbo Tax never asked if I pre-paid any taxes and I did my prepayment through TurboTAX . I assumed the IRS would see my prepayment.  

You should just wait.  The IRS should see the amount and adjust your refund for it or reduce the tax due.  They usually catch that.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies