turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I import a prior years files from TurboTax that were done on my desktop and have the info flow to this years return if I were to use the online software going forward

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

Can I import a prior years files from TurboTax that were done on my desktop and have the info flow to this years return if I were to use the online software going forward

Yes, you can import a prior year taxa data file from TurboTax Desktop into TurboTax Online.  You can only import one year to carryover the data.

You cannot upload all of the files to the TurboTax Online cloud.

You would want to do this before you start entering data for your return; although, you need to choose a version and continue into the tax preparation.

1. Click on My Account in the top center

2. Click on Tools

3. Click Transfer last years TurboTax return from your computer from the list at the bottom

4. Click Continue if prompted

5. Browse for the .tax2014 file

View solution in original post

27 Replies
AnnaB

Yes, you can import a prior year taxa data file from TurboTax Desktop into TurboTax Online.  You can only import one year to carryover the data.

You cannot upload all of the files to the TurboTax Online cloud.

You would want to do this before you start entering data for your return; although, you need to choose a version and continue into the tax preparation.

1. Click on My Account in the top center

2. Click on Tools

3. Click Transfer last years TurboTax return from your computer from the list at the bottom

4. Click Continue if prompted

5. Browse for the .tax2014 file

jasonm144

Hey, already at the file end of the process, how do I return to add my last year's taxes?

@ jasonm144
You are posting in an old thread from 2 years ago.   It's not clear what you are asking about when you use the phrase "add last year's taxes."   You can't transfer a 2016 return into an already-started return.   Transferring is done in the very beginning when the return starts off as blank.

You need to start your own current thread so you can be questioned and assisted.   You can start your own new thread at the link below so it will show up to the whole forum as needing help.

When you go to the form at the link, the first box is for a summary of your question, like a title, and is limited to 170 characters..  If you need more room, lower on the form you will come to another box with plenty of room to enter details.    This is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new</a>   

I'll close this old thread.

Great information.   Question, do I need to install the 2019 TurboTax Disc into my desktop computer? Thanks

Great information.   Question, do I need to install the 2019 TurboTax Disc into my desktop computer before beginning? Thanks

Sorry I meant to say do I need to insert the 2018 disc before I begin the other steps?  Thank you

@Hitman 

You have posted to a very old thread and I have no idea what you are asking about ... try again with more details please. 

Critter thanks for responding.  Question: can I upload my 2018 Turbotax files from my desk top computer and moving forward to an Online Turbotax 2019 return.  And do I need to install the 2018 disc before starting. Thanks

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can import a prior year tax data file from TurboTax Desktop into TurboTax Online.  You can only import one year to carryover the data.

You cannot upload all of the files to the TurboTax Online cloud.

1. Click on My Account in the top center

2. Click on Tools

3. Click Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer from the list at the bottom

4. Click Continue if prompted

5. Browse for the .tax20XX file

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No you don't need to install the 2018 disc first.  All you need is to have the data file ending in.tax2018 on your computer to transfer into 2019.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2019 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

John, I'm kind of as thick as a brick.  You gave a great step by step advice on how to move the 2018 return to the internet.  One quick question getting back to that thick as a brick, Do I open my 2018 return and follow the directions you gave or do I go to Turbotax's website. Thanks much, it is appreciated

@Hitman   No you don't need to open the 2018 return.  Just have the file on your computer.  Log into Turbo Tax Online.  Start an Online return,  then 

Go to Tax Tools > Tools > Transfer from your computer > Continue

Also see the answer I posted above.

Let's make sure we are on the same page:  I have finished my 2019 return and am ready to submit, but have to know the last year's AGI.  I went to retrieve my last year's return and found that it was going to transfer the  2018 return to the 2019 format.  I didn't want to lose the several hours work I had put into the 2019 return if it dumped my 2019 data in order to transfer the 2018  data and then have it to do all over again!  tell me it's OK to run the 2018 return through the 2019 Turbotax and then pick the AGI number and go back to the 2019 return and submit it!

I'm assuming you are using the Desktop installed program?

Transferring 2018 is ok but won't give you what you want.  You need to look at a 2018 pdf file of your return.  If you only have the data file ending in .tax2018 you need to open it in the 2018 program.

You can only transfer 2018 into a new blank 2019 return so it's not going to affect your existing 2019 return.  Have you saved your 2019 return?  Save it again with another name so you have extra copies.  Go up to File-Save As or Duplicate.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies