Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worksheets are also sent when efiling?

There are three options when we try to print final tax file that the program prepared:

-Just my tax return

-Include government worksheet

-Include government and turbotax worksheet

What are government worksheet and turbotax worksheet? Do they get efiled too? Or only the pages shown under "just my tax return" option gets efiled and sent to IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The pages under 'my tax return and government worksheet' are Efiled.

The worksheets TurboTax prepares are not Efiled.

You could Download your return with all worksheets for the most complete copy of your return, then choose to actually Print only what you need. 

Click this link for more info on Printing My Return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You mean, the pages when we select the middle option as I wrote above, gets efiled?

If so, there is a tax history worksheet there which only shows 2019 for me. Because I used Turbotax first time this year. The years before are empty. Is it ok? 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

No, the tax history is a TurboTax worksheet and it doesn't get e-filed with your tax return.The only purpose of that worksheet is to easily compare your return to last year's return.

I just checked and when I filed my 2019 return, the capital loss carryforward worksheet, which according to your answer above , was sent to IRS. It was produced wrong. Because my form 1040 line 11b (for 2019) was zero. But it imported different numbers to both columns, line 1 of that worksheet somehow and submitted it.

Detail: It imported a negative number (my AGI minus my standard deduction of 12200 which became negative) to regular tax column and a positive number (my AGI) to AMT column). Why did it import numbers that are different than line 11b on my 1040 . This is obvious mistake....

So after fillling the rest of the rows, it wrongly produced a capital loss carryforward to 2020 tax year although I shouldnt have one.

So what do I do now? Do I need to make an amended return, although my tax forms were correct otherwise?  Well in the amended return, the carryforward sheet will not even be needed I believe as my line 11b was not negative, but zero...  So if I file an amended return it will just be the same return without the worksheet. So I just ignore this wrongly submitted worksheet and manually adjust the carryforward and AMT to from last year to zero, and do my return like that?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, ignore and adjust. The IRS is only concerned with the actual tax forms. If your actual schedules A ,B, C, D, 1 ,2 ,3, etc is correct, then there is no concern over a worksheet. I say this because if you file an amended return, you only send in the forms, not the worksheets. Worksheets are never mailed in to the IRS.

ma6878
Returning Member

Is this answer correct? Are govt worksheets filed? Because answers given by different experts are conflicting. Some have said only schedules and forms are filed - not worksheets.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, @AmyC is correct. The worksheets are expected to be used to support your calculations and saved with a copy of your tax return for your personal records. Their submission is not required but if there was any inquiry, they may be referenced. See 2020 Instructions for Form 1040, page 80

ma6878
Returning Member

Thanks @KathrynG3

Just to confirm Form 1099-B Worksheet is not included when I efile for Federal and NJ returns?  Reason I am checking is because I adjusted a few transactions in the worksheet to account for the rounding related diff of $33 in the gains on Schedule D. So now my numbers on Schedule D match that of the 1099. But the adjustment appears in the worksheets.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Form 1099-B and generated worksheets would not be included but Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets, should capture all these individual details sorted long-term and short-term, covered and non-covered. All Forms 8949 will be included.

The main focus of this exercise is to report the full amount of the capital gain and pay the associated tax. This is still being done by your described method and is still making the extra effort to capture the full capital gain in total. As an added note, adjust the cost, not the sale. The IRS accepts cost basis adjustments without issue. Keep Form 1099-B for your records. 

@ma6878

artero

so only the goverment sheets, not the turbotax sheets?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies