Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worked for Dog sitting for company "Rover" in Seattle. Not a W-2 job. Rover paid me via Pay-Pal. I made only is $1,910, but i need to report so income goes over the $4300

Was a gig-like job, no W-2, 1099 issued, etc. Plse advise
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Worked for Dog sitting for company "Rover" in Seattle. Not a W-2 job. Rover paid me via Pay-Pal. I made only is $1,910, but i need to report so income goes over the $4300

Your income from Rover is considered self-employment income and is reported on Schedule C.   You do not need to tax document to report the income, use the ''Other Self-Employment Income'' option when you get to the income questions.  

To set up your business (Schedule C):

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
    • If you've already entered self-employment work and need to enter more, select Add another line of work.  Add all of your dog sitting income on the same Schedule C, you would only start a new line of work if you have self-employment income reported from a different type of work.  
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

When you set up your business, use your name and address, not Rover's - they are your client and you own your own business.   The only reference to Rover should be when you enter the income.  You can use ''Rover Pay Pal receipts'' for the description.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the advice on schedule C and Rover dog sitting.  So according to Rover, on December 23, the IRS announced that the 1099-K filing threshold will remain at 20,000 USD, and 200 transactions for tax year 2022.  As as result dog sitters no longer will get a 1099-K according to Rover.  Even though my daughter made a few thousand dollars, and has no 1099, we still have to report it as self-employment income for the the few thousand dollars.  Correct?  Is 600 USD,  the threshold on whether to report or not report income?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you still have to report the income if your daughter had $400 or more in self-employment net earnings (gross income minus expenses).  

To enter the income without a 1099 in TurboTax you can follow these steps:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Search for self employed income (use this exact phrase, don't add a hyphen) and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? screen
    • If you land on the Your 2022 self-employed work summary page, select Review next to the work you're adding income for
  4. Answer the questions on the following screens until you arrive at Let's enter the income for your work
  5. Scroll down to the Income section and click Add income for this work
  6. Choose Other self-employed income and Continue

Also, be sure to check out What self-employed expenses can I deduct? to be sure to report all the eligible expenses.

@RSteel

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies