turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Won’t let me select free version

This is the last year I’ll be using TurboTax. Despite not needing it TurboTax would only let me select deluxe and charged me 40.00. I have no deductions that would require the deluxe. Anyone else have that problem? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a little Form 1040 that has six extra schedules with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.

Before switching to the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, it’s important to make sure you’re eligible for the product. If you answer yes to any of these question, you qualify:

• Is your adjusted gross income (AGI) $36,000 or less?
  • Were you active duty military in 2019 with an AGI of $69,000 or less?
  • Do you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)?

To switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax:

1. Sign out of your existing TurboTax account.
  2. Go to the IRS Free File delivered by TurboTax website and sign in to your same account from there.
  3. Select Yes, switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax when asked, and Continue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m using tax act next year 

I am unable to use the free irs choice. I go to the site (yes i definitely qualify) and click the i qualify link and sign in. I click the switch over to free etc and it still charges be $120! I have even restarted the entire tax process from scratch and it isn't working. It seems like this is done on purpose to dissuade qualified tax payers from getting their promised benefit.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

To see what you are being charged for please follow the instructions in the following FAQ. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...  

If you have not yet filed your tax return, then proceed to follow the directions in the FAQ below to remove all unwanted add-ons.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/00/26051

Please see the FAQ below for more information on downgrading your current version of TurboTax. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/can-i-downgrade-to-a-lower-priced-version-of-turb...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

lol yeah they've "elected" to not participate in IRS Free File anymore, just going full scam now. ya'll are the worst. 

Solos82

Indeed they have. Made it very difficult to find that information as well.

@Solos82 wrote:

Indeed they have. Made it very difficult to find that information as well.

Go to this TurboTax website for the Free online edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

tonkytonk

I'm having the same problem and I can't get passed it to file without paying for what should be free.

@tonkytonk wrote:

I'm having the same problem and I can't get passed it to file without paying for what should be free.

The TurboTax Free online edition is for very simple tax returns that do not require any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If your tax data requires entry on any other form or schedule then you must upgrade to the Deluxe edition or higher.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Go to this TurboTax website for the Free online edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

Please Note -

TurboTax Online: Important Details about Filing Form 1040 Returns with Limited Credits

A Form 1040 return with limited credits is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only (with the exception of the specific covered situations described below). Roughly 37% of taxpayers are eligible.

If you have a Form 1040 return and are claiming limited credits only, you can file for free yourself with TurboTax Free Edition or TurboTax Live Assisted Basic (if available), or you can file with TurboTax Full Service at the listed price.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions claimed on Schedule A
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales (including crypto investments)
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules
Not4

As of 15 April 2024:
"Since Intuit has exited the IRS Free File program, we no longer offer IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, formerly known as TurboTax Free File Program and TurboTax Freedom Edition."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies