Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will Turbo Tax be providing the e-fileable PDF General Dependency Stmt of Form 8915-E, released by IRS, as per IRS statement on Feb. 8 - Alternative File Methods? When?

She still will not able to e-file because of the issue with state worksheet for NY MI and HI and likely many others @DoninGA @sazzette 

Will Turbo Tax be providing the e-fileable PDF General Dependency Stmt of Form 8915-E, released by IRS, as per IRS statement on Feb. 8 - Alternative File Methods? When?

@ajd878787 wrote:

She still will not able to e-file because of the issue with state worksheet for NY MI and HI and likely many others @DoninGA @sazzette 

The federal tax return can be e-filed without e-filing a state tax return.

Well yes, although I hope we can all agree how ridiculous that is 3 weeks into the IRS worksheet being final...

@DoninGA @ajd878787 For Federal, Covid-19 Distribution questions appear and I am able to spread distribution over 3 years. Calculations are made but at no point does an 8915-E file appear or is recommended. Is this correct?

For State (NY) - it is still under review and I am asked to review my Covid-19 Distribution entry.

Should I proceed with the Federal Tax return e-file (without providing the 8915-E form)? Where is it? 

thanks. Are you saying I have to change the 1099-R Distribution Code manually?

@sazzette - You should NEVER change what the original 1099-R says UNLESS it has been corrected by the distribution company (you would then have a corrected form from them). Keep all the original codes!!!  I'm in Colorado and everything worked fine for both the Federal and State. It sounds like some states' software is where others are having glitches! I would contact my State Tax Office and file the Federal e-file and see what your state suggests.

@suemartensen Thank you for clarifying. 

@sazzette wrote:

@DoninGA @ajd878787 For Federal, Covid-19 Distribution questions appear and I am able to spread distribution over 3 years. Calculations are made but at no point does an 8915-E file appear or is recommended. Is this correct?

For State (NY) - it is still under review and I am asked to review my Covid-19 Distribution entry.

Should I proceed with the Federal Tax return e-file (without providing the 8915-E form)? Where is it? 

The TurboTax program generates the Form 8915-E only after you have entered the Form 1099-R and requested to have the withdrawal associated with the Covid-19 requirements.  It will be included with your filed Federal tax return.

Unfortunately, TT is still experiencing many issues with their "online" programming for COVID related IRA distributions.  While they have made progress in implementing the questions needed to generate the Form 8915E, the latest "glitches" have created an issue in finalizing the Federal tax return during the review process.  For some unknown reason, many users are receiving a "Check This Entry" prompt, which indicates a message that relates to Form 8606, stating "Your calculations could not be completed" (accompanied by a specific Reference Code).  Unfortunately, users are not able to "Fix" the return, and are only offered an option of "Connect to a Tax Expert".  When choosing this option, the earliest "appointment" available is now in mid-March...almost 2 weeks away.  I spent over an hour on the phone with a live tax professional at TT this morning, only to be told that the user community has reported many instances of this problem.  I provided my name and contact info, and was told I'd be contacted when the problem was resolved.  The TT rep also advised that this was NOT an issue with the desktop version of the TT program.

I sincerely hope that TT is looking into offering a "discount" to those clients impacted by this delay.

I’d happily go buy TT software at the store if it was guaranteed I could file both federal and state but I fear they have perhaps communicated yet another false statement. 

If anyone has successfully submitted a tax return with form 8915-E for either NY MI or HI using desktop software, please let us know !

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Why am I getting a "Check This Entry" error for my Form 8606?   @bomo817   Please sign up using the link in the article to receive notifications on this issue.  

You will be able to e-file 8915-E, but there are some state issues that are being worked out.  @ajd878787    For the NY return, see if this workaround helps at all.   New York Pension Exclusion

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @DawnC  I’ve given this a few tries and it did not work unfortunately. It explains how to “start from scratch” for the 1099-R which triggers the right questions but produces the worksheet error regardless. I cleared my cache and used a new browser just in case, this is failed. 

I’ll sign up to this new email alert. Ironically, I’ve yet to receive an email from TT but I’ve signed up for alerts 2-3 times prior. 

I do have the Check this Entry worksheet error, but I also cannot confirm it is 8606 related. I do not see this form reference in my error message. 

Chanstl
Returning Member

I was able to get the correct calculations on the 8606 form. I filed my taxes and they were rejected. TT response was glitch that should be fixed by March 5.

One can only hope the March 5th date is achieved...this can keeps getting kicked further down the road each time a TT user posts another "glitch"!  Maybe it's time to go back to filling out the paper forms?

morganmbur
Returning Member

There appears to be a problem in turbotax when you try to use form 8606 to reflect your basis in previous non-deductible IRA contributions and also use form 8915-e for a Covid-19 eligible IRA withdrawal. When you input your basis  for non-deductible IRA contributions on form 8606, form 8915 does not spread the Covid-19 eligible withdrawal over 3 years. It puts the entire withdrawal amount in 2020 taxable income. Does anyone know how to fix this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies