Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still be able to get a stimulus check if someone tried to claim me as a dependent but recieved no additional income for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will I still be able to get a stimulus check if someone tried to claim me as a dependent but recieved no additional income for me?

If someone claimed you as a dependent on their tax return, you are not eligible for a stimulus payment. If you met the requirements to be claimed by whoever claimed you, there is nothing you can do about it because if you meet the qualifications to be claimed, you can't claim yourself even if the person who could have claimed you chose not to claim you.

If you did not meet the qualifications to be claimed but were claimed mistakenly by someone, then you can file a return claiming yourself and print and mail the return. The IRS will sort out who could rightfully claim you at another time.

If you have already filed a return and need to change from checking the box to be claimed to unchecking the box, you will have to prepare, print and mail an amended return form 1040X to change your dependency status. The 1040X must be printed and mailed. It can't be efiled.

Eschc5

What if someone claim me in their taxes as a dependent will that person still be receiving a check for 1,700 or will it be more?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If someone claimed you as a dependent and they qualify for the stimulus package, they will receive an additional $500 if you are under the age of 17.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies