turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be considered Single or Divorced since I was divorced in 2004 and my ex husband passed away in 2010?

If my ex husband died is my filing status divorced or single
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Will I be considered Single or Divorced since I was divorced in 2004 and my ex husband passed away in 2010?

Unless you are currently married, then your actual tax filing status will likely be single based on the information you have in your question. If you have a qualifying dependent, you may qualify for the head of household filing status.

TurboTax includes "divorced" in their choices to this question not because divorced is its own tax filing status but because divorced taxpayers may have specific tax situations such as alimony or special situations with dependents. Choosing "divorced" prompts the program to ask additional questions that are common for filers who are divorced.

If you select "divorced" as your response, it helps the program guide you through those questions to help ensure that nothing is missed that may pertain to your situation. Read each question carefully and if something does not pertain to your situation, you can answer "no" and keep moving forward in the program.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Your filing status is single. 

For more information, see: What is my tax filing status?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies