Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will 2020 Turbo Tax run in Windows 7

I've previously written here and other threads.  I'm with the community and the collective anger at Turbo (and Microsoft).   So unbelievable, and in this Pandemic.  Any compensation Turbo?  

Right now I need to go with the change and have upgraded win10.  I can't stand the Win10 program.  And Turbo would know this since the majority of population agree.

I don't have the time right now to search a new tax software but will do next year.. unless any compensation from Turbo or to reconsider for next year for your loyal customers?

Continued anger.

Thanks to the Community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@massachusetts1 

Compensation?  seriously?  You've GOT to be kidding.  Return it for a refund, get your pencil out and do it by hand if you can't bear to use the online version or buy software created in the last decade, and get over yourself.  

NO tax software runs on Windows 7 but there is an online version for those that refuse to upgrade (or can't afford it or whatever.)  Use it, do it by hand or move along but compensation?!?   Good grief!!

You people are making a grave mistake.  Who the hell are you to tell your customers to upgrade their computers because you dont think it's safe for them.  Havent you learned anything from the manditory masks, seatbelt laws, alcohol sale day and hour restrictions?  Americans dont like being told what to do.  If we have Win 7, its because the OS gets worse and worse every year.  They dumb it down and limit what you can do.  Some like Win 7 and sure arent gonna upgrade because you told them to.  Enjoy losing your footing on the market dummies.

So customer support  at intuit is a myth.  

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@cliff2310:  What can we help with?  Please respond here for someone to reach back out for further assistance. 

Also, you can reach out to us directly at the link here.  This will direct your inquiry to the correct department.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Intuit is FORCING people to buy a new computer and use 10, wow, and in this time of the pandemic(:0), wow.

Heretic,

You said,

--> Install a VM (Virtual Machine) emulation, build a win 10 OS there, install your TT 2020 into that.... Just be careful about your key. If you delete the VM entry without de-registering the key you might need to buy another copy.

How hard is this to do, it sounds involved, and what is the cost, it sounds cool though?

@DavewaveI have an older 64 bit win 7 machine I am running as I type. I am right now running TT 2020 sucessfully in a VM window now.
The Virtual Machine host software I am using is Oracle "virtual box" (virtualbox.org). It is free. I am using version 6 of the VM. If you have a 32 bit system you'll need to use the older version 5 of virtual box.
I wouldnt call the install "simple" (not for computer illiterate), but it isn't difficult either. Virtual box has been around a long time. There are many tutorials on the web.
Basic high level steps are: a) install virtualbox. b) set up a VM entry, define its virtual filesytem size (it will create one big file to hold this VM), some defaults, and then c) install windows 10 in side the virtual machine, d) install turbotax inside that windows 10 window (which is running inside the VM, which is running insode your win7 system).
Win 10 is actually free too, if you dont care about the disabled background and personalizations, etc.
You can download the install from M$. Once you get 10 installed, a timesaver is to take a "snapshot" of the virtual machine state (e.g. "machine menu" take snapshot). That lets you can start over at that exact location if you mess up the settings, or whatever later. You can also start from that snapshot and build a win10 for your taxes, and another for something else. sort of like "forking" off from the basic win10 entry.
I have a snapshot of when i was done setting up win10, then another when i was done installing TT2020 in it.
Note, youll need to make sure you setup the VM entry to give you access to some folders on your "host" system (windows 7) or you wont be able to save files to your "real machine" . You should be able to get to any local network servers you have without that step though.
Last note (and its relvant to intuit's choice to block TT2020 installs in win7) the official supported OS list for VirtualBox does not include win7.. but it runs fine, like most software does that is made for win8/10 (almost everything "under the hood" of those 2 OS's is built on win7). Unless the programmers happened to use some specific subroutine call from the underlying OS that has been changed or added since 7 (the vast majority arent)... it will work. The VM program i am quite sure uses a much larger range of the OS calls than intuit needs, and it runs fine. so ... who knows, TT might work fine on 7 too if they didnt refuse to install at step 1... but we wont know if they just block the install.

I ditto every dissatisfied (ex) customer on this site.  "We are just trying to protect you from the bad guys" is an awful excuse for forcing users into Windows 10.  This nonsense is exactly why I stopped using Quicken back in 2003 (which I had been using since 1985 - literally, the 2nd year after it had first been released). I guess what else can we expect from the company that spent millions lobbying the government to STOP simplifying the tax code?  I may just go back to doing taxes by hand... or pay a tax preparer.  At least they won't tell me what color stamp to use, or which brand of pen I should be signing with.

Great analysis, Heretic.  I'm glad someone was able to intelligently shine some light on the nonsense TT present us with this year and nonsense, non-answer Intuit customer service threw at us.

No other software has this gating check on machine specs and refusal to install.

Turbotax does not really require all that, it is a simple database software, probably would run on win95 and 256MB RAM. It should be the user's choice to take such a low risk.

The online version seems so basic, it would probably screw up my stock sale gain calculation without manual editing.

Intuit took the lead from Microsoft in being most arrogant software company.

The user is not your property or subordinate, you morons.

Hello,  Interesting thoughts and ideas here. Thanks.  When you have a business and are self-employed it is a bit more complicated.

I'm still practicing with new Win10 which is awful. Nightmare rescuing older word docs and other older Office files since Win10 doesn't work with older Office software. That cost me extra. 

Haven't loaded Turbo cd software yet due to that.

I want to add for those suggesting to use the website/online/cloud version --   I cannot use anything online (free or not) but a CD (hardcopy) version.  Not seeking more headaches (security)   But I thank you, EXCEPT not the TT Cust.Reps who keep saying this. They know what the thread is about.

Stay safe.  I'll be safe indoors a long time just to figure this out.  But thanks to IRS for extending date. That really helps.

Interesting, it is, thanks for the info.

The claim that Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 isn't entirely accurate.  Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft still supports Windows 7 and is still releasing its monthly security and quality rollups.  It is doing this through its ESU (Extended Security Updates) program.   You can read about it here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/windows-7-eos-faq/windows-7-extended-se...

Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise users can purchase a yearly subscription to the ESU service and continue to receive monthly security and quality updates through 2023.   This would likely be more preferable for most users than buying a new PC or upgrading their OS. 

Therefore, there is no legitimate reason for Intuit to completely block the installation of TT on all Windows 7 machines.   If Intuit is truly concerned about the security of Windows 7, the TT installer could simply check for the presence of a recent security update, KB5000841 for example, and proceed with the installation if present and fail if absent with a warning that Windows 7 machines need to have recent updates in order for the installation to complete.  This is a perfectly fair and reasonable compromise/solution and not difficult to implement. 

In addition to the other great points that have been made in this thread in defense of Windows 7, the fact remains that there are still millions of people and businesses using it and to force them into a change of OS so they can complete their tax returns is utterly absurd.

Important question!

Each year The new edition of TT seamlessly uses the last years auto saved TT document file to import last years data into the new version. Obviously this is an extremely valuable time saver and I probably wouldn't even use TT if it didn't!

Now I am FORCED to go from my perfectly functioning Win 7 machine to a Win 10 machine a serious problem may arise.

I can simply transfer the 2019 TT document file from my Win 7 machine to the new Win 10 machine.

BUT will that Win 7 created file be compatible with  the 2020 TT program installed on the Win 10 machine.

In other words will it pick up and import last years data and work?

Note: I will not use TT online so that is not an option.

Thanks in advance for responding to my question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies