Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SuziM

Why won't Turbo Tax let me file my state tax return when I include dates for estimated taxes to be paid electronically for the 2024 tax year?

Greetings! I would like to troubleshoot this further. For those unable to schedule 4 New York Estimated payments on TurboTax Desktop, please send us a Diagnostic File of your return.  This copy will be purged of all personally identifiable information.  If you are willing, please follow the instructions provided below to get us the information we need. 

TurboTax Desktop 

1. Open your return. ​ 
  2. Click “Online” and select "Send Tax File to Agent". ​ 
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click “OK”. The tax file will then be sanitized and sent to us. This action will generate a Token Number  
  4. Please respond directly to this message and provide the Token Number that was generated.  

MontyBurns
Returning Member

Why won't Turbo Tax let me file my state tax return when I include dates for estimated taxes to be paid electronically for the 2024 tax year?

Done, diagnostic file sent.  Token # 1225244.

Thanks.

Edit: I only submitted one return for diagnostics, but I prepare returns for several family members in NY and all of the returns are generating the same error.  

Is there an update on this question?

File sent Token # 1229918

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Roberto99 I haven't heard anything from Moderators, only that it's being investigated.  Many thanks to those who have shared a diagnostic file.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I was wondering about this bug! I am using the Desktop Turbo Tax Deluxe. This year (2024) the software only allows you to schedule in advance one automatic estimated New York state payment, in prior years all 4 could be done. There is also direction to use TurboTax Online Quarterly Payment App (https://quarterly-payment.turbotax.intuit.com/app/extra-filing-app-plugin/topic-experience?filing=es...) for paying the estimate on one of the screens.

So is this a new limitation to force people to use the TurboTax online solution (which perhaps is not free), is it a bug, or is this some sort of requirement by New York state due too many errors on estimates or something?

I’m experiencing the same error. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to schedule the three payments elsewhere. I really hope this will be fixed for next year’s edition.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Hi all:

This is the latest that I've learned about this issue (from a TT Moderator).

Apparently, TT software will no longer have the capability to schedule all 4 NY state estimated tax payments.  Only the first payment can be scheduled using the software (which you all have reported).  The software is supposed to direct you to an "external TurboTax app" to schedule the remaining 3 payments.  Looks like this has been shared in this thread by @Ama485jjd .  Of course, you may just want to schedule those payments directly on the NY DOR website.

The FAQ, cited before in this thread and again below, is to be updated to contain the correct info.  I'll share that here as soon as the changes are complete.

How do I calculate and pay my New York estimated tax payments? 

Thank you all for your patience!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

@Kat  Thank you for confirming. I wonder why this change was made...

Thanks for providing the link.

Thank you for the update. I guess we could also mail a check with each voucher for the other three NY estimated tax payments...

Documenting a bug or limitation in TurboTax is not the same as fixing it, so this is somewhat disappointing as a result.

Anyway, probably the best way to work around the TurboTax problem is to just go to the New York tax web site and schedule the estimated tax payments to be made from a bank account automatically.  General instructions for doing this are on:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pay/ind/pay-estimated-tax.htm

There is a link there that says the estimated tax payments can be scheduled by approved commercial software:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/homepc.htm 

TurboTax is on the list, there is nothing that I could find saying it is limited to one payment, so just a bug or restriction, nothing at the New York end of things.

But anyway, the process to schedule these payments yourself on the New York state account would be:

1. Go to the first link:  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pay/ind/pay-estimated-tax.htm

2. Navigate to the bottom, click on the [Login] button (or [Create an Account] if this is your first time)

3. Basically on the next screen, Login or Create an Account

4. Pretty much from there, you should be able to see previous estimated tax payments (if any)

5. From there, you just look for Make a Payment, click on that, follow the directions (Estimated Tax Payment, Quarter, etc.)

You can just use the TurboTax calculated amounts, you will need a checkbook handy for the routing codes, etc.  If you have paid before this way, the banks will be listed, you just pick the one you want (or specify a new one).  It is all really simple, probably takes about 5-10 minutes total (at least after getting everything set up).

I guess I will note one work-around to the NYS site, sometimes it can be a little picky on browsers or cookies, so if you have trouble with Chrome or whatever, switch to another browser (Firefox, for example, Safari on a Mac).

I suppose someone should report the problem/limitation for TurboTax to New York state, so they can update their help pages/support pages.

@pwjone1Based upon the new descriptive text on the schedule estimated payments screen (and in the smart review) someone at TT made a decision to remove this ability. It's not a bug.

I wonder why they would remove this functionality without providing any reasoning and directing people to use a new TT app for setting up the estimated payments. If youre going to use a separate app you might as well just go to the NYS DOF web site and set it up there yourself.

Thank you for the information.  I was NOT directed to TT app to make the other 3 estimated payments, so thank you to the person who provided the link.  That said, I was very disappointed in the TT estimated payment app.  I had to enter each quarter separately - entering my name, DL, bank account information for EACH of the payments AND there was no 'Do you want to make another payment?' at the end - had to use the page back arrow to get to the beginning.  Overall, this was a bad TT experience, so much so that I am seriously considering switching to another tax prep software for next year's taxes.

Thank you for all the info. Is anyone aware of any issues with just sending NY a check for the other 3 estimated tax payments?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies