turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why must I file my 2018 W-2 if I did not work in 2019?

Why must I file old tax returns to my 2020 tax information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Not sure where you are seeing anything that says you are supposed to put income from a past year on your 2020 tax return.  Do NOT put a W-2 from some other year on your 2020 return,   Only 2020 income goes on a 2020 tax return.

If you did not file a 2018 tax return using your 2018 W-2 then you can prepare a 2018 return but it has to be on a 2018 Form 1040 and you have to use 2018 software.  If you had no income in 2019 then you have nothing to file on a 2019 tax return.

What is making you think you need to put 2018 on your 2020 return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo tax kept asking for this, over and over again, they also asked me to itemize what I had bought online or out of state with a special district! tax percentage, and I've never been asked this before. I had to guesstimate.  As my friend said, it appears they gave me a wrong file this year, and I don't know how it will work out this time. Thank you for your help!!

What software are you using?    The questions about out of state/online purchases are normal.   But the question about a 2018 W-2 does not make sense if you are preparing a 2020 tax return.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies