turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why isn't Turbotax asking about my stimulus or recovery rebate credit in the Federal Review section?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Why isn't Turbotax asking about my stimulus or recovery rebate credit in the Federal Review section?

It will not if you indicated you are being claimed as a dependent in the My Info section for your personal information.

Or if your 2020 AGI is to high to be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Phases out if your AGI is -

• $150,000 if married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er)
• $112,500 if head of household
• $75,000 if single or married filing separately

Edited typo - should read It will not if you indicated you are being claimed as a dependent in the My Info section for your personal information.

If joint income is greater than 150,000 (i.e. 153,000) you get a reduction in amount. You could be still eligible for the Credit. Turbo Tax has a worksheet to calculate it but it never asked me anything about it. I filled out the worksheet manually and am entitled to a credit even though TT didn't help me. Even in the automated step by step interface it doesn't ask anything about it to figure this out. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop, are you able to access your stimulus check choices by following these steps? 

• Across the top of the screen, click on Personal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen, click on Done with Other.
  • The next screen It looks like you qualified for the stimulus.  Click Yes.
  • At the screen Let’s double-check the amount you received, click Yes or No and click Continue.
  • Proceed on to Federal Review and Smart Check

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BUND
Level 2

I wasn't able to access stimulus check choices either. It doesn't show "It looks like you qualified for the stimulus" nor asked me whether I received any checks at all. I I am not a dependent either.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can also use the search feature by typing in stimulus and then click Jump to stimulus.

Maybe your income is too high, see Topic B: Eligibility

@BUND

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pawar1806

I just efiled my 2021 tax return without stimulus payment info. Turbo system didn't prompt to check on stimulus payment received in 2021 and it skipped my mind too. Also, I just received notification that Federal tax was accepted. Key question is should I amend my tax return to show those numbers or assume IRS will fix it using their records because it is non-taxable.  

@pawar1806 wrote:

I just efiled my 2021 tax return without stimulus payment info. Turbo system didn't prompt to check on stimulus payment received in 2021 and it skipped my mind too. Also, I just received notification that Federal tax was accepted. Key question is should I amend my tax return to show those numbers or assume IRS will fix it using their records because it is non-taxable.  

You would have seen the stimulus question in the TurboTax program after completing the federal tax return.  The question was in Federal Review if you were eligible to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

There are only two reasons why the stimulus question would not have been presented to you.

1.  You are being claimed as a dependent

2.  Your 2021 Adjusted Gross Income is above the maximum to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit

• Single or married filing separately—$80,000
• Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er)—$160,000
• Head of household—$120,000

Look at your tax return Form 1040 Line 30.  If it is blank (empty) then you have indicated that you did in fact receive the 3rd stimulus payment.  If Line 30 has an amount entered then you indicated that you did Not receive the stimulus payment.

The IRS will review your entries on your tax return.  If the IRS has records showing that the stimulus payment was sent to you they will remove the credit on Line 30 of the tax return if a credit was entered.

Lonnie48
Returning Member

It's NOT asking me either. I have tried 10 times. "Skip to stimulus " Not!! Very disappointed..where do I even read line 30???? I've even started All over.. the software doesn't ask me if I got 3rd stimulus even though I did

@Lonnie48 wrote:

It's NOT asking me either. I have tried 10 times. "Skip to stimulus " Not!! Very disappointed..where do I even read line 30???? I've even started All over.. the software doesn't ask me if I got 3rd stimulus even though I did

There are only two reasons why the 3rd stimulus received question would not be presented -

1.  You are being claimed as a dependent (or)

2.  Your 2021 Adjusted Gross Income is over the maximum for the Recovery Rebate Credit

• Single or married filing separately—$80,000
• Married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er)—$160,000
• Head of household—$120,000

Lonnie48
Returning Member

I'm very very confused.. I recieved the letter from the IRS. And so did the wife.. AGI for 2020 was 159k so we got a partial of the stimulus 3 in 2021. Doing my taxes today 2021 AGI is 161k and ready to file. Your telling me I don't have to input the partial stimulus we recieved?? I don't have to record in turbo tax the form 6475??

That is correct.  You do not have to report the 3rd stimulus you received on the 2021 tax return due to your AGI.

You keep the stimulus payment received.

Lonnie48
Returning Member

Ok, no I understand, I thought I would have to claim this as income and take a hit on my return.. so ignore the form. It was only to benefit me if they owed me more.. Thank you so much for clearing this up for me 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies