turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

If you are going to send documents to the IRS you need to mail the documents with form 8453.

You do not need to send your 1099-B to the IRS they have been sent a copy of the form by your broker.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unfortunately, the single reply I read doesn't really answer the question.  How can we get an answer from TT?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You can't upload PDFs into TurboTax to be included with your e-filed return.  

TurboTax does not send your uploaded PDF 1099-B with your e-filing.  It only includes the information you entered or downloaded from a brokerage account.

So pray tell, after entering your 1099B data why does TT prompt you to upload a PDF of your 1099B and then inform you it was successfully uploaded.    Seems to me there is some redundancy there:  TT gets your 1099B PDF and then tells you when the tax process is finished to mail it in.   What does TT do with the uploaded file?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Perhaps IRS form 8453 was prompted by the last option listed on the form. 

Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (or a statement with the same information), if you elect not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949.

Did you enter a summary of your brokerage sales into TurboTax?

Form 8453 is mailed to the IRS within three business days after receiving notice that the IRS as accepted the electronically filed tax return.  The IRS can then compare the brokerage statement against the the summary that was reported.

I don't think any of the answers here are correct... I think this is a bug.

The poster is describing the same issue I am having.  I uploaded form 1099-B during the interview process, and TurboTax said it would send the PDF 1099-B to the IRS for me so I didn't have to mail anything in.  Yet, the filing instructions ask me to send in Form 8453 with the 1099-B, even though the pre-populated Form 8453 is not generated by TurboTax (as it has done in years past when I actually did have to mail it in).

For clarity, here is the message that TurboTax provides during the interview process on the 1099 page:

"Now we'll help you upload your 1099-B since the IRS requires a copy

The IRS requires a copy of your 1099-B because you need to provide documentation for some of the transactions on your sales summary.
If you have a PDF copy, upload it and we'll send it to the IRS for you.
If you don't have a PDF copy, you can skip upload and we'll help you mail a paper copy."

As instructed, I have uploaded a PDF copy, so TT should be sending this to the IRS electronically and should NOT be asking me to mail a paper copy.

Agent 991, I agree with you.  TT's inconsistency reflects either a design flaw or coding error.  You have documented precisely what is going on.  As for myself, I have avoided having to mail anything in to the IRS.  Luckily, I had not told TT to file with the IRS yet so I had the opportunity to go back and delete my 1099B sales summary files created from my manual inputs.  I then had TT upload the 1099B detail data from my financial institution and had TT  do another  review so I could view their new cover page.  This time it did not instruct me to mail anything in. 

A form 8453 is Required by the IRS to be mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8453

I don't think anyone is disputing your statement, DoninGA, because we understand an 8453 cannot be e-filed.  However, I don't understand your point.  We were talking about the inconsistency of TT essentially saying "upload your 1099B PDF form and we will take care of it so you won't have to mail it in" and then saying in the cover sheet instructions  "to mail said form in with the 8453 transmittal form;  but if a 1099B does not need to be mailed in, of course there is no need to mail in a 8453 transmittal form.

I can confirm the same experience as agent991 & EdinNH.  It's very confusing with TurboTax giving conflicting instructions.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, I understand the confusion. Rest assured, as long as you have uploaded the 1099-B to TurboTax, you do not need to submit Form 8453 within three days of filing.

I will rest assured when TT fixes their inconsistency.

It's March 15th now, two weeks after your (KathrynG3's) reply, and still the TurboTax program is telling us in the filing instructions to mail Form 8453 after telling us that we wouldn't have to do so after successfully uploading our 1099-B statement. Just when do you plan on correcting this inconsistency, or do we have to take your word here for it, with no accountability associated thereto on your part (since this is just a user forum).

SefPrp74

I agree with first answer to the above question.  The on-line version of premier program asks for upload of my 1099-B because IRS needs to see a copy.  The IRS already gets a copy of 1099-B from my broker.  I cannot get anyone at TurboTax to tell me why their premier program asks for the uploading of 1099-B.  I manually entered the numbers into TurboTax from my 1099-B (same as I did for 1099-R, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV).  I fail to see why TurboTax program requests upload of 1099-B that IRS has already.  IRS told me they don't need another copy.  CPA in my family told me I did not need to upload a copy of 1099-B.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies