Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the money I receive now(2000$) more than the money on tax paychecks at work( about 1000$) was there a mistake? I was a J1 student in US this summer

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why is the money I receive now(2000$) more than the money on tax paychecks at work( about 1000$) was there a mistake? I was a J1 student in US this summer

If you are filing a resident tax return, you could be getting an additional refund by way of credits like savers credit or earned income credit. That could be the reason for you getting more than the actual withholding.

As a J1 student, you should be filing a nonresident tax return.  TurboTax does not support 1040NR.

And if I get this tipe of credit I need to return the money after? Of these are Non-refundable money ? 
thanks 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, if you receive credits, you generally do not need to pay these back.

@dtana2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you know can I change this status? 
I received just a part of money , around 100. The rest 2000 I didn’t received , and I got the letter that I am not getting the credit. Can I change my status to the nonresident and get just the money I need to take back from my taxes I paid? 
Thanks in advance 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies