Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

grnclvrs

Why is form 8995A still unavailable?

I'm waiting on this BS form for a $7 deduction that I'll end up not being able to take anyway as my itemized deductions do not exceed the standard deduction.  

This is ridiculous. I suggest that everyone who is blocked by this call customer service to emphasize the problem. It doesn't seem like they're properly acknowledging it.

Also, why is this question marked as 'solved'?

@JeanAtkinson wrote:

This is ridiculous. I suggest that everyone who is blocked by this call customer service to emphasize the problem. It doesn't seem like they're properly acknowledging it.

With all due respect, clogging the customer service phone lines is just not going to help.

Intuit has acknowledged that the form is delayed via the availability matrix posted in this thread. This is not exclusively an Intuit problem, as much as some people apparently want you to believe it is.

@pverma222 wrote:

@macuser22

This is getting ridiculous...The blame game starts. Could be IRS, could be TurboTax! Welcome to lazy and incompetent America.

Nobody is blaming any one.  I am just pointing out the possible reasons for delays.  This is not new. It has happened EVERY time that Congress makes late tax law changes.  About 7 years ago some forms were not available until AFTER the April 15 due date forcing extensions to be filed.  That made national news and the IRS admitted that it was their fault and they would not impose late fees.

I  can only go by what the IRS site itself says about the 8995-A form:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/list-of-available-free-file-fillable-forms

"8995-A - release date To be determined"

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

You're right, it does seem like a general IRS delay. But TurboTax could do a better job at communicating that clearly, given that it is a very unusual situation. The very fact that there are tons of confused people on this thread is a sign that the communication didn't get through.

The subject form is available in hard copy along with its various schedules. I sat down and worked thru by hand. Got no tax break. I might file by mail. 

Why could't TurboTax give me a choice between 'mailing" the available forms now and waiting until 20th and efile? OR, TT can tell me that I would get xx dollars more if I chose to wait for 8995a form, or ignore and file without form 8995 and not take those xx dollars.

Without a working form the program cannot tell you anything useful.

Because TurboTax is a electronic return originator, ERO.     Electronic forms can be printed and mailed but there are not separate forms if you choose to mail.   All ERO forms must meet IRS requirements or they cannot be filed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am having the same issue. It will not be available until March 5th??? Can TT confirm, Thanks Kevin

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 8995 A Qualified Business Income Deduction will be available on 02/20/2020.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individu ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@slattek

If you need to get it done in a hurry (for whatever reason), go to a local tax consultant/accountant. He will do it for you by hand in few min using hard copy available from IRS, and you will ne done. Alternatively, you can do it yourself and mail the return. It is NOT a rocket science...You may have to read a little. (The "softwarization" has made us dependent.) I did it, since I have to leave the country for two months. 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The IRS has to finalize and approve the form for E-filing  before it is available on TurboTax.

The form is expected to be available on 02/20/2020.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individu ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is this date definite? I’ve heard it keeps getting pushed back.

The worst part for me is I don’t actually need to file this form. TT is pulling in old data from when I used to do freelance work, but I can’t delete the form so therefore cannot e-file until the form is available.

@Peiffer223  wrote:

Is this date definite? I’ve heard it keeps getting pushed back.

That 2/20 date has not changed for quite some time so it is probably accurate (and it is only a couple of days out at this point).

IRS website says 2/28 for form 8995-A.  Intuit is saying 2/20.  Are those both guesses?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies