Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

blah
Level 3

WHY DOES THE SITE CONTINUE TO FREEZE

Turbo Tax does not directly ask for a 1099-B, I was talking if you use the import feature.  1099-B is from brokerage companies, if you don't have stock broker you work with you don't need to worry about it.  Meanwhile the IRS does still sometimes need a copy of your 1099(s).   Turbo Tax does sometimes ask me to upload a copy of it and I do even though I type the data in by hand to keep Turbo Tax from choking on the hundreds + stock transactions I do every year.

blah
Level 3

Next time just type in the totals, you do not have to type in every single trade except under very specific situations.  All they require is the totals for each category including any wash sales etc.

BBohls

I have this same issue when accessing the store.  I was finally able to download the state software - I noticed a huge lag in inputting data and when the characters appeared on the screen.  It seems that there is a problem with the display on the screen.  Now I am trying to efile the state and wasting many hours trying after looking on the forum for solutions (clearing cookies, running as admin, etc.  Nothing works.).  I have given up and printed the state return and will file on paper.  Needless to say, after more than a decade with TT, this is a huge disappointment.  There must be better products out there.

blah
Level 3

I know this response is way to late.   But I found the solution was simple, just delete any imported 1099's and enter in the whole numbers manually.   When you import them TT records every single individual transaction and their backend servers can not handle it.  But if you just manually enter the sum total whole numbers for Short Term, Long Term, etc there back end servers will stop crashing.

If you trade a lot like me, or even a few hundred trades will break their back end servers, this has been a problem for me for many many years and now I trade a lot more and it become impossible to use.   TT support never figured it out and believe me I spent many weeks on the phone....     But I am a computer person and finally decided even though they won't admit it, there servers can not handle that many transactions, so you just enter in the sum totals and TT online will work just fine.   Even their non-online product can handle importing 1099's with a lot of transactions.  

So I have changed over to just doing in manually it is not that bad, only four sets of data for each 1099, plus the interest and dividend data and done.

Agreed ... the online system can get bogged down with large 1099-B information ... using the summary is a good option.   Using the downloaded version is another.   Waiting to import the broker's statement until the last possible minute before filing also works ... you would have to also revisit the STATE and REVIEW tabs before completing the FILE tab.

blah
Level 3

The downloaded version of Turbo Tax was useless for me as well (it can handle a little more, but still worthless for ever spinning) and how is waiting until last minute to upload1099B's gonna help, doesn't it only delay the inevitable Turbo Tax lock ups.  The only thing I found that works is to do Summaries of the 1099B's...   As soon as I ever do a 1099B upload turbo tax immediately rolls over dead, to a point where it won't even let me file.   Maybe if you have only a couple hundred transactions total, it can lessen the pain of the spinning... But in my case it would spin forever and ever, I could not even get through a review nor to filing from the spinning even if I let it spin for hours on end....

Well either way, I found summaries was the only solution for me, maybe I have more transactions than most....   

To bad Turbo Tax won't just admit it and tell their employees to offer the summary solution, it sure would have saved a lot of us a lot of pain.

Cheers

MIKEIVE52

MY TURBO TAX DISC IS NOT LETTING ME DOWNLOAD TO DO MY TAXES. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR WEEKS. HOW DO I GET IT TO DOWNLOAD COMPLETELY WITHOUT SAYING TRY AGAIN AND IT STILL DO NOT WORK

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@MIKEIVE52 Please contact TurboTax by Phone, to get a new download.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
blah
Level 3

Hey Mike,

I am just a turbo tax user, I had no issues that year with downloading software updates. It was freezing because I mistakingly used their download 1099-B feature that I was supposed to be impressed with.   LOL.  I had thousands of trades and turbo tax can’t handle it.   Solution is to just use sum totals rather than all the individual trades.   Which means download your own tax form from

brokers and use the sums for long term, short term, etc.   then the desktop application and online work fine.   I prefer the online version because it remembers everything from year to year including carryover credits and stuff.  Plus they keep years of history if I ever need to go back and pull a return for anything.  

i only used download version one year because turbo tax phone help offered it free because they could not figure out why their online was not working from my non impressed auto 1099 downloads, well the desktop version froze up to with auto downloads and eventually i talked to an accountant who said you can just use sum totals rather than every single buy and sell.   So I tried manually just entering sum totals and boom turbo tax was back to working and not spinning 😵💫 forever.  

So are you having trouble down loading 1099-B automatically or are you just trying to start the program and it is freezing with downloading their updates?

So FRUSTRATED - and "live help"  **bleep**.... **bleep** computers!  All with the upgrade of $199 - yea, like I read in a previous post... LAST YEAR FOR TURBO TAX

my computer is frozen

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please try clearing your cache and cookies and also review the tips provided above as it relates to having multiple 1099 transactions (if this applies to you) @albertmarbut.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Eva F

Still happening 2023. I have tried to file state over and over. Turbo tax screen goes blank and nothing happens. 

I called today (Feb 14, 2023) and was told that the "import feature" will be updated on Feb 16.  Maybe the Import feature won't hang after that.

As of today, it hangs for me.  (Desktop Windows 10 Home & Business version)

blah
Level 3

Yeh don’t waste your time on import, they claimed fixing it for years, those lower level support agents don’t really know the details.

so much easier to just type it in yourself, no need to track all the individual transactions and that is what their import does.  IRS only needs the 1099-B totals for each category, then enter 1009-div and 1099-int stuff by hand as well.    (You just have to click through their constant stuff about being impressed with their import that they can’t handle, keep clicking past that to get to enter by hand)

don’t forget to enter wash sales stuff too

meanwhile you need to modify stuff after their import anyway, but their import only works on super small transactions.   If to many it will cause entire program to spin indefinitely. 

doing totals is way easier to correct as well if you get a corrected 1099-B.  Plus their import never figures out the federal and state muni bond tax write offs.   You have to calculate that by hand and enter anyway.   

good Luck, but ditch their import of brokerage statements.    Simple 1099-Int for savings accounts and W2 is fine to import, just not brokerage 1099-B with over ten transactions throughout the year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies