Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did I have to pay the IRS taxes on interest of $14.50 I made from them? What was the interest on?

I am retired and took no child tax credit. Does the IRS still owe me money?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why did I have to pay the IRS taxes on interest of $14.50 I made from them? What was the interest on?

Yes interest from the IRS is taxable income just like bank interest.  They paid you interest for taking a long time to pay your refund, probably your 2020 refund or if you amended a return.   

Why are you asking if the IRS owes you more refund?   Did you get your 2021 refund yet?   

report IRS interest on your next tax return.

@southernway41-ou - if your refund is delayed more than 45 days from the day you submit your tax return the IRS is required to pay interest on the refund.  I assume the $14.50 was interest paid to you due to the delayed refund of your 2020 tax return in 2021....that is income to you, no different than any other interest you receive from a bank. bond, etc. 

currently, the interest rate paid for delayed refunds is 5%.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies