turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WHY CANT I EFILE on turbotax??

What does it mean??

We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, Cust Hdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I have to guess, you must be in a foreign country, or at least are using an invalid phone number that is not a typical US domestic phone number.

If you have a phone number listed in your Intuit Account settings, then you must make sure you use a valid 10-digit USA phone number in both your Intuit Account settings and in your return.

See if this FAQ helps:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

See this answer by TurboTax DawnC in the thread linked below, who says not to use a number like Google Voice, Skype, etc.  in the Intuit Account settings, at least not until after you successfully efile.   She also says it may be possible to leave the phone number blank in the Intuit Account settings.   You can put the problem USA phone number back in your Intuit Account settings later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

Also see this other thread with other out-of-country users with the same problem who were able to correct the error.  If you have trouble, post there and they can probably help you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-federal-e-file-is-not-going-through-i-m-given-...

ee-ea
Level 15

Add a US phone number for the Turbo Tax profile.  You need to click Intuit Account in the lower left of the Turbo Tax page and enter a U. S. phone number and then your password and save it.  I don't even think it needs to be a valid phone number because when you go to file the return, it gives you an option to get email updates and/or text messages.  Just make up a U. S. number if needed and don't check the box saying you want text messages and you should be able to get the taxes filed

.**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies