Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I file Form 4868 electronically

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You cannot e-file an extension form 4868 from TurboTax Desktop.

You can e-file a free extension form 4868 by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You cannot e-file an extension form 4868 from TurboTax Desktop.

You can e-file a free extension form 4868 by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

This solution does not work.  You click on the URL given in the "answer" and it goes to a first web page.  You then click on the link in that firstpage and it takes you to a 2nd page.  When you click on the link in the 2nd page, it sends you back to the first page.

I had to use the Free File Fillable Forms system from the IRS.  Much less friendly and it took me about 30 minutes to get it all set up and working.

This use to work fine with TurboTax.   So this was an important step backwards.

Please get this fixed for next year.

Long time and faithful user.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Dennis8  You are responding to an older post, one that is probably older than 2019.  Try the recommendations in this link instead:  How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?

DanielV01,  I clicked on the <2019 link and it worked fine for me... I got my 2021 extension filed and confirmed. The following was the fist reply with a workable link.

"You can e-file a free extension form 4868 by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first answer said "You cannot e-file an extension form 4868 from TurboTax Desktop."     I'm using the TTax desktop and indeed had to print and mail the form 4868. That's disappointing. It would be helpful if a desktop update tell the user there IS a way to file 4868 electronically. The update wording can be as simple as: "You can e-file a free extension form 4868 by visiting https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/ 

Absolutely should be fixed.  There is no reason why TT shouldn't have an e-file option within the software.

Indeed. You can e-file, but it's as if you have to use a work-around.  Absurd!  TT must fix and include an e-file option in the software.

It is irritating spending too much time working around little TTax bugs that should have been repaired long ago. Regarding the inability to electronically file a 4868 extension, I have 3 comments:

1. I'm quite sure I e-filed extensions from my Premier CD/Desktop  a couple of years ago. So why remove that feature?

2. No matter what your income, you can use some of the IRS free file vendors and e-file an extension. For my daughter I went to efile.com, scroll down to "e-file extension," put in some basic account info and ALL DONE. I received a confirmation notice that the IRS accepted the extension. And it is QUICK &FREE!

3. Now I ask you this. How come I can e-file an extension 4868 for FREE over there, and I can't do it in my Desktop/CD TTax which I PAID for over here?

Seriously. This should not be that hard to dig through the entire software, just to find a way that the IRS website does for free. This is why this company lobbies so hard to not allow free tax services so we have to pay for this garbage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies