turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I e-file state

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why can't I e-file state

1) State can only be

....1a)  e-filed along with the Federal tax return....or

....1b)...if the Federal tax return was already e-filed separately first, then you must wait for the IRS to "accept" the Federal tax filing before you will be allowed to e-file the State.  The IRS is "scheduled" to start their processing the week of 27 January...some day that week.

2)  Some states are not accepting e-file submissions yet at all.  Depends on what state is involved. Check here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

Probably a less common problem:

3)  If you mail-file the Federal forms, you must also mail-file the State forms too.  The states depend on the initial IRS computers checking things out as a first step security measure.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Tom lowe

Why can't I e-file state

I do have to MAIL in Fed

but my state printout   from pdf says EFILE only ??i cant if i mail my fed so im stuck how do i file my state

forms

Why can't I e-file state

If you cant' e-file the Fed, then you have to mail-file the state too.

Occasionally a state e-file set is ready before the state allows the state mail-file forms to print out.  Since you are attempting to file so  early  (yes, this is early ), that might be the case for your set, so come back in two weeks and try to create a new state PDF then.

The only significant e-file issue for a particular state, that grumbles about mail-filing in a major way, is NY, but even they allow the state to be mail-filed if the Fed must be mail-filed.   

No matter what state is involved...wait two full weeks, then create a new copy (using the Print Center only) and see what happens then.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lsfarrell

Why can't I e-file state

I e-filed the Feds and wanted to print and mail the CA state return but it wouldn't let me.  I finally e-filed the CA state return but was forced to pay the $19+ and am not happy about it.  I still can't print a copy of the CA return.

Can't figure out why, but thinking I may have to return to TurboTax for a refund.  I have used TurboTax for many years and have NEVER had so much trouble filing my taxes.  I also get a message that I did not file taxes using TurboTax for 2018 BUT I did!  Anyone know what may be causing these problems?

Why can't I e-file state

@lsfarrell 

Check the CA state forms list...there are some forms that can be e-filed now, but a few paper forms are not ready for print g for another week or two.  Like the major one.... "Schedule D, California Capital Gain or Loss Adjustment" on Feb 13th.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ca_online_individual.html

Maybe you were just rushing the situation, and just needed wait for the Print forms to actually be ready for printout before mailing.   ...Desktop users  can always go to Forms Mode to open and print individual sheets...or call Customer Support for online help:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Never attempt to file before mid-late Feb and all the major filing issues get cleared out for the vast majority of states.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies