Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

indy700si

Which morgan Stanley do I choose for 1099-div? My form says "Morgan Stanley at work" and Morgan Stanley capital management

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Which morgan Stanley do I choose for 1099-div? My form says "Morgan Stanley at work" and Morgan Stanley capital management

Please clarify your question.

• Do you actually have two separate accounts?
  • How do the reported numbers differ?
  • Is the amount of the 1099-DIV the same, or different on both?

I know this doesn't completely answer your question.  Please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same question.  It is not two accounts, but at the top of the 1099 it say the following:

Morgan Stanley Capital Management, LLC.

MORGAN STANLEY SMITH BARNEY, LLC

ONE NEW YORK PLAZA, 7TH FLOOR

NEW YORK NY 10004

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, there are two options for Morgan Stanly accounts. You need to select the type that you have. 

Morgan Stanley at Work is for accounts that were started on your job. This will be mainly retirement benefits and employee stock purchase plans.

Morgan Stanley Capital Management, LLC is for accounts you started outside of work. This includes regular investment accounts.

If you still aren't sure, contact Morgan Stanley to find out which type of account you have. Follow this link for more.

Ok.  I have a Morgan Stanley At Work account, but I do not see that as an option to import within Turbo Tax.  Is there something else I should be selecting or will I have to type it in myself?

Thanks!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You should be able to import but a 1099-DIV is quick and easy to type in. I prefer typing it in so that the entries are checked and correct without technical issues.

@arcticf7

jbbird99

I have the same question - with my employer it is Stock Plan Connect.  I see Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect listed in the Turbo Tax Partners list (https://www.intuit.com/partners/fdp/implementation-support/tax-import/program-overview/partner-list/... but the import function does not seem to be in at least the Desktop version of TurboTax 2023.  Can someone please advise?   This would be for both 1099 DIV and 1099-B data.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Here are a few troubleshooting tips for importing your Form 1099.

• Make sure you're selecting the correct partner in TurboTax (some have similar-sounding names).
  • Make sure you're using the proper sign in credentials on the import page, and that you have a working internet connection. A wired connection, may be more stable than wireless.
  • Finally, make sure your forms are available to import into TurboTax. Forms will be available to view on the brokerage side, but are not enabled for import yet.

If the steps above do not resolve your import errors, consider the following solutions that have worked for some customers:

• Confirm you have enabled third-party access to your account information.
  • Change your password for your online brokerage account, then sign back in to TurboTax and start the import process again using your new password.
  • Double-check that you're entering the right credentials on the import screen. You could be asked to enter any combination of username and password, fund number, account number, or document ID number.
  • Check with your brokerage to see if you need to be enrolled in online access in order to import.
  • If you're using TurboTax Desktop, make sure your program is up to date. Run all of your TurboTax updates.
  • When signing in to your brokerage account from TurboTax, try entering two extra characters at the end of the password, then delete the extra characters and press enter.

Here are the instructions on how to import your Form 1099-DIV:

To enter this in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open (continue) your return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu, then Wages & Income.
  3. Locate the section titled Investments & Savings and click open to Edit/Add.
  4. Click Yes on the screen Did you have investment income?
    • If you see the screen Your investments & savings or Here's your 1099-DIV info, select +Add investments.
  5. Choose how you'd like to enter your 1099-DIV:
    • If you want to import your form, select your bank or brokerage from the list, enter your sign-in info for your online account, and select Get my form.
    • If you'd rather manually enter your form, select Enter a Different Way, select 1099-DIV, then Continue.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the info from your 1099-DIV.
  7. When you reach the screen Here's your 1099-DIV info, the form you just entered should be listed.
    • If you need to enter another 1099-DIV, select +Add Investments and follow Steps 5-7 above.

To enter in TurboTax Desktop:

Open your return, search for 1099-DIV, and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results. That'll take you to the screen where you can enter your dividend income.

Another way to get there is to select the Federal Taxes tab (or Personal if you're using Home & Business) and then select Wages & Income. If you see the How do you want to enter your income? screen, select I'll choose what I work on. On the Your 2023 Income Summary screen, select Start or Update next to Dividends on 1099-DIV.

You can always manually enter your Form 1099-DIV.  It is easy and fairly quick.

Please click here for instructions on entering Form 1099-DIV in TurboTax Online.

Please click here for How to Import my Forms 1099.

Please click here for What if I Can't Import My Form 1099?

the same quesiton, Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect does not appear in turbo tax (mac version).

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

See this help article for troubleshooting steps with importing a document.

If your specific financial institution's form is not available for import, you can easily input Form 1099-DIV manually. In TurboTax Desktop:

1. Open your return
  2. Click Federal Taxes
  3. Click Wages & Income
  4. Click "I'll choose what I work on"
  5. Scroll down to Interest and Dividends
  6. Click Start or Update next to "Dividends on 1099-DIV"
  7. Click Yes to Did you receive any dividend income
  8. On the screen "Let Us Enter Your 1099-DIV", click the radio button next to "I'll type it in myself"
  9. Click Continue

Enter the information from your form following the prompts.

See also this TurboTax tips article regarding Dividends.

Same situation using the TurboTax desktop version for Windows. The supported 1099 partners list clearly shows two partners: "Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect" and "Morgan Stanley Wealth Management"

But when I try to import a 1099 form, I only see one choice: "Morgan Stanley Wealth Management". 

And while you can easily enter a 1099-div by hand, I'd rather import 1099-B than enter everything by hand.

I have the same problem. None of the expert answers address the question. Is there a human out there who can answer this question or acknowledge it as a bug/issue? Intuit's support website clearly says "Morgan Stanley Stock Plan Connect" (same as "MS at Work") is a 1099 partner and we should be able to import that 1099. But that choice doesn't show up in the list of partners in TT Desktop. Is there a way to import (I have a lot of transactions so this would be nice if it exists), or is it a bug/issue (then I'll need to enter manually)?

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Please click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support if you would like to speak to someone.

In general, Morgan Stanley at Work would be for an  account that you started on your job. (i.e. retirement account)

Morgan Stanley Capital Management, LLC would be for an  account you started outside of work. (i.e. Investments)

Please click here for contact info for Morgan Stanley if you need to verify your account type.

In case this helps anyone else, I was able to import my 1099-DIV and 1099-B from Morgan Stanley at Work.

After a few weeks, I checked again, and I now see an option for Morgan Stanley at Work as as importing brokerage!

I had to log into my Morgan Stanley at Work account and select the option to share information to Intuit or something like that before I could import the forms.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies