Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where enter 1099-oid in Business TurboTax? There is no line item in pgm and the box nos do not comport with line items for 1099-int.

Is this reporting of 1099 OID on a business return for a trust account still correct for 2020 tax return?

Thank you,

Kathy Welch

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Where enter 1099-oid in Business TurboTax? There is no line item in pgm and the box nos do not comport with line items for 1099-int.

Yes.You can see Instructions for Forms 1099-INT and 1099-OID, Interest Income and Original Issue Discount. Inside the link are the forms for further verification.

@kwelch0424

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
eframent

This does NOT work. I tried entering box 6 from my 1099-OID into box 1 of 1099-INT and box 11 of OID in box 13 (which is missing from 1099-INT entry form, so have to go to Forms view, which is stupid) and then turbo tax gives me an error. It says bond prem tax exempt income should be blank. Why doesn't turbo tax business have a 1099-OID form? And why doesn't turbo tax business include box 13 on their 1099-INT entry form? This is wrong!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

TurboTax subtracts the bond premium entered on Box 13 from tax-exempt interest income reported in Box 8.  If the number you entered in Box 13 is greater than Box 8 you will get an error message.

@eframent

eframent

Are you referring to box 8 on the 1099-OID? The only numbers on my 1099-OID are in boxes 6 and 11, and they are the same number. So, when I enter my box 6 into box 1 of the 1099-INT and box 11 into box 13 of the 1099-INT, I get an error. Can you help?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please enter the figures from your OID as follows:

OID Box 6-Acquisition premium.  Report in Box 1 of the 1099-INT.  This amount should be reported on the federal return as interest income but it is considered exempt from taxation for state and local income tax purposes.

OID Box 11-Tax exempt OID  - Report in Box 8 of the 1099-INT entry screen It will flow to line 2a of your 1040, Tax-exempt interest.

After the 1099-INT entry screen, you will see Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply.  Mark the box Our state doesn't tax all of this interest and select the state from the drop-down list.  If your state is not on the list, you can select it on the next screen, Which state is your $XX of exempt interest from?

@eframent

Is there a reason TurboTax can't simply fix the problem by giving us users the appropriate 1099-OID form, as you have done for personal income taxes? What's the problem that it takes this many years to deal with?

But shouldn’t the acquisition premium on a tax exempt bond be entered in box 8 rather than box one?

The taxslayer website says that the acquisition premium on a tax exempt bond is tax exempt, which I understood to include for federal tax purposes.

Maybe if TurboTax would FIX THIS PROBLEM we wouldn’t all need to have this fascinating discussion.

You call yourself a tax expert yet you do not know that there is no box 13 for interest in Turbotax Business. I am doing a trust return and going cazy trying to figure this out.

Here’s the instructions in the system for entering a 1099-OID in TurboTax Business:

1.  Inside TurboTax, open or continue your return and then search for this exact phrase (recommended that you copy/paste from here): 1099-oid original issue discount
  2. Select the “Jump To” link at the top of your search results
  3. On the Miscellaneous Investment Income screen, check the first box for Form 1099-OID and click “Continue”
  4. Answer “Yes” on the next screen, and continue to follow the onscreen instructions to import or manually enter your 1099-OID.
  5. If you land on the Form 1099-OID Summary screen, select “Add another Payer”, and then follow the instructions to either import or manually enter your 1099-OID.
joelw0

That link takes you backto the Interest Income Summary screen...which takes you back to the 1099-INT..and when you say that you need to adjust the amount, it  suggests that you should enter the OID on another 1099-INT but doesn't explain what box you need to enter the relevant amount in so that Turbo Tax will get it right...so if I have an amount in Box 8 of the 1099-OID, how do I know what box it needs to be entered in on a 1099-INT?

Thank you.

This answer is a great one but it's for 2019. With the changes in tax laws, could someone from the community or TT please update the answer to this question?  I print it out every year to put with my TT returns in case I am audited and to remind me next year how to input this.  Thanks for your help.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@kwelch0424 Here are the updated 1099-OID instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I should have mentioned this is for my trust return which is run in TT business version, which does not have a platform to support OID data.  I print out the one from 2019 to show which line items on my OID amounts need to be added to the 1099-Int amounts.

That is still wrong answer for the business edition.  There is no jump to address.  When will you people fix this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies