Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

There is no COVID option in the drop down menu.

Enter anything in the box.  The form 8915-E will not be included with your 2021 tax return.

@DoninGA ,  but the  form 8915-F is included and what you put in the box shows up there.

@susiedoody wrote:

@DoninGA ,  but the  form 8915-F is included and what you put in the box shows up there.

Just enter None.  There is not a FEMA disaster number for the Coronavirus.

Is anyone having issues with TurboTax not calculating what was paid back and taxes owed correctly from 2020 and 2021?  I think the problem for me is when it asks for lines 9 and 10 from 2020.  That messes up the amount for 2021 that I'mnot paying back and owe taxes on.  Like I paid back some last year plus paid taxes on some and also plan on paying back some this year.  It think doesn't calculate that I paid taxes on what I didn't payback last year plus it calculates that I owe taxes on what I'm paying back.  Hopefully that makes sense.

cjob
Level 5

@Taxman28 

Don't quite follow the situation you're describing.  But, no, have not seen difficulties in handling paybacks, etc.

Skmith

It’s not TurboTax. The IRS has not finalized the form until yesterday, 3/24. You can now longing to your TurboTax account and finish up your form. Good luck to you! 

Skmith

TT does allow a preview of your 1040. It’s under Tax Tools and then tools, in the section right below Federal, State, Review on the black bar which is on the elect side of the screen. 

@cjob thanks

It is lines 9 (bottom one) and 10 in 2021 from my 2020 TQDD that seem to be the issue on my end that mess up 2021 taxes.  I'm not sure why what I paid back in 2019 matters and would be calculated in what I owe in 2021, I paid that part back or the taxes on what was owed in 2020.

cjob
Level 5

@Taxman28 

You have to complete both line 9's.  If you opted to spread over 3 years then the same number goes in each field.

@dmarqtax

There is an item D on your chain which is a box to mark if your disaster is coronavirus. And it states “don’t list coronavirus in item C”.

if you look at the charts on 8915F page 1, chart 1directs you to answer only lines 12-15, and 23-26 if applicable. (It doesn’t apply for the 3-withdrawal split so you can skip). Line 15 flows to 5b of the 1040. All these are taken care of in TT’s questionnaire. I think IRS cares more about matching numbers so I don’t think the description error is a serious flaw. If it is, they’ll send a letter. I just hit the space bar twice when I was asked for a FEMA number since this item is supposed to be blank anyway. I think the software is just making sure it didn’t get missed. TT should really have this covered so it’s not returning us to that item during the review.

I, too, filed with the retirement withdrawal 8915F process using TT step-by-step QA. My situation is for a straight forward withdrawal, no repayments and option to split for 3 years. Both federal and state returns were accepted.

I'm not a tax expert just a long time user.

POLKCITYMOM
Returning Member

So when you enter the amount do you enter the full amount or 1/3 of it?

Thanks

Bchromey
Returning Member

I tried double spacing fema # and it still wants one

@Bchromey wrote:

How did anyone get the option to select repayment over 3 years, this is our year 2. It asked did you receive a 1099R in 2021, NO, did you have a withdrawal in 2020, Yes, check a box if covid then enter from your 8915E line 4 column B (used turbotax last yr so not getting why they could not auto populate) then it ask if there was repayment, NO, then that is it, it did not show any taxable income for it...

Make sure that you entered the amount of the 2nd year of the distribution as follows -

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 - Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 -  Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

Bchromey
Returning Member

Thanks, the way it was done was just confusing, it had line 9 listed twice and it did nothing when i entered in one but then tried in the other and it worked, trying to figure out the FEMA number now- not sure what to put, tried the duble space like someone else said and it still puts me back there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies