turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

i need the 8915-F form in a bad way. i have been told Feb 28th, then March 5, and now end of march.

@kspfeifer11 wrote:

i need the 8915-F form in a bad way. i have been told Feb 28th, then March 5, and now end of march.

Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Retirements for tax year 2021 is estimated to be available in TurboTax on 03/24/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

I mentioned a few pages back I’m a 10 year TT customer. Love the software but the delay is unacceptable. Per another poster recommendation I tried another site starting with Free and ending in USA. 😀 My state and federal returns with form 8915 f were accepted in less than 24 hr. Shocker of shockers, I received my California refund in less than a week. Still waiting on federal refund but everything I read is saying returns are delayed and taking up to 21 days. All for $15 total plus $7 I paid for audit defense. Tough to beat. 

@kevdawg40 

I am thinking of using the same online service. I have heard their software can handle complex tax scenarios such as home sale, mortgage, social security income, etc. Is that correct...?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nettmann Do they have a free online forum so that you can ask questions about their product, such as this one?  Or do you need to go to the competitors website to get support.

First off it's not free if you make too much money, second it can not easily handle complex taxes.  It is made for low income people to file their 1040 EZ or whatever.

Anything outside of that congressional mandate is cherry on top but not core features.  So go do it for free, and then if it works, awesome

The form is now available from the IRS but hasn't been loaded into TurboTax. When will it be ready?

@richpatrie wrote:

The form is now available from the IRS but hasn't been loaded into TurboTax. When will it be ready?

Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Retirements will be available on 03/24/2022

Nettman,

it can handle anything TT can, you just don’t get the same suggestions and hand holding. If you’ve been filing for years and have a general idea of what you need/what you’re looking for, you’ll be fine. I reported 3 mortgages due to my primary being bought/transferred and a HELOC, married filing jointly with wife in grad school claiming lifelong learning credit, 4 kids, filed 8915 f, itemized deductions, so reasonably complex. Any more complex and I’d probably hire an accountant. Cheers!

I would like to try and figure out what I may owe and have a little extra time to set it aside. Is there a good way to do this that’s semi accurate without the 8915f ready? I’m thinking enter the 1/3 amount on the 1099r form and show no tax being withheld but I’m not sure. Thanks!! 

Thank you for this!!! Just went with free***usa.c*m and E-Filed for $24 and it was pretty easy overal.  Got tired of waiting for TT.  I had already purchased their software through amazon for $50+ but at this point I dont care loosing the $50+ which will be the last $$$ they get from me.  At this point its more personal. 

Forgot to mention that the total refund for federal and state were exactly the same.

That’s exactly what I did and will plan on doing if 8915F is not available. File a 1099r with the 1/3 deferred amount. Spoke with a CPA who said that would be fine. 

@kevdawg40 

Thank you for the reply... That is what I thought but your message assured me... I have been doing my own tax filing for more than 25 years and it seems that that Online service would fit me well...!

Thanks for the feedback! At least this way I have some idea what the damage will be. 

Many folks have been asking about the what if I paid X in 2020 or had X withheld by my employer in 2020, how will that impact my 2021 8915F form? I think it's a very valid question that has not been fully answered on this forum and all the responses are based on assumptions. I get it taxes paid in 2020 should be recorded in 2020, but the Covid 401K Relief is not a 1 year done deal, for most is a 3 year deal and as such any software performing calculations to make it SIMPLE to consumers needs to understand this. In my example, I took out 30K and my employee withheld 10% or 3K. Turbo Tax did the math to spread the taxes over 3 years, but to do that it needs to factor in the 3K and although I agree that the 3K needs to be recorded on year one, the questionnaire needs to be smart enough to let users just enter all the info from the 1099 and it should do the math automatically. Having the user enter 1/3 here and there makes it really confusing. The simple software design should let the user enter the basic info and do the math automatically. So in conclusion, if anyone has a real answer let us know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies